Q. I feel like something is stuck in my throat, and I get a metallic taste. What to do?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

Good Afternoon, I have few symptoms for a month like sour or metallic tongue usually when I eat some food. I feel like I have something stack in my throat and I don't feel like eating anything. I feel short of breath however, some relief if I burp, i also have to clear phlegm from my throat all the time. Thank you,

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Hello dear, I welcome you to icliniq.

It seems there is problem within your food pipe.

Acid reflux, regurgitation of food, choking and freqenut salivation and sometime vomiting are all symotoms related to food pipe (esophagus). Metallic taste of tongue, food stuck and diffculty in swallowing are just part of armentarium of symotoms of any disease affecting food pipe. There are many disorders which could cause such symptoms namely esophageal diverticulum, motility disorders, eosinohilic esophagitis, or some anatomical variations of food pipe. These all disorders can reasonably be excluded on basis of good history and some common investugation; rarely an endoscopy is required to confirm the diagnosis. Since with limited history I am unable to make any diagnosis at momemt. But I tried to provide you the possibilities.

I recommend you some testing, just get it done and come back to discuss. I hope this will be helpful. Good day

esophageal diverticulum, motility disorders, eosinohilic esophagitis, or some anatomical variations of food pipe

complete blood count
Serum Ig E
Thyroid function tests
ANA profile
Cpk
Timed barium swallow TBS

motility disorders

follow up after investigation or can discuss now before getting tested

| 

Manometry shows weakness halfway down the esophagus. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had dysphagia for a few months. My endoscopy and barium swallow had been normal. The manometry showed weakness halfway down the esophagus. The pH test for 24 hours showed GERD. I tried eating a burger, and every bite of it got stuck. After that, I had a hoarse voice for a whi...  Read Full »

Barium solution has caused a blockage in my mother's stomach. How serious is it?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother started having internal bleeding two weeks back due to Pradaxa, which she was prescribed three weeks ago. In search of this internal bleed, my mother was asked to drink a gallon of bowel flushing solution. She drank two-thirds of the solution, but was told that she had not ha...  Read Full »

My sore throat pains with something stuck in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36-year-old male. I have a sore throat for two weeks now and I am in my sixth-day of antibiotics (Dalacin C) but it is not going away. I feel that there is something stuck inside my throat/esophagus. I have a mild headache but no fever. Pain scale is ranging 4-6 out of ten. I also...  Read Full »