Q. I have pain in lateral and medial side of heel with flat foot. Please suggest solution.

Dr. Padmesh Jain

I have foot pain and I suffer from flat foot. Pain is mainly located at the lateral and medial side of the heel. Please suggest.

#

Flat foot is a very common condition and causes pain due to stretching of tendons, ligaments, and soft tissues of the feet. I guess an x-ray must have already been done for you. Just make sure that apart from the flat foot you do not have any other associated condition like abnormality of bone or abnormal bone growth. If you are overweight then you need to take care of it as excessive weight increases flat foot pain.

Furthermore, if you have any other comorbid conditions such as diabetes or hypothyroidism, please control that as well. There are special shoes that are tailor-made according to your foot so that there is less strain while walking or running. Kindly get them.

Also, visit a physiotherapist or a chiropractor who will teach you specific stretching exercises that you will have to keep doing regularly at your home to minimize pain and discomfort. When your pain is severe, take a painkiller of NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) group. I prefer tablet Aceclofenac 100 mg as it is known to cause less gastritis. It can be taken twice daily after food. In addition, taking a multivitamin and mineral pill will help in nerve health.

Developmental, congenital.

X-ray foot AP, oblique, and lateral. Blood tests include complete blood count (CBC), blood sugars (fasting and post prandial), thyroid profile T3, T4, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

Flat foot.

Physiotherapy exercises and stretches. Custom made shoes. Painkillers as and when required.

Avoid overweight, long running.

|