Q. My root canal treated tooth broke off. Should I go to a dentist right away or wait?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Nov 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2019

I was having food this morning and the front half of the back tooth broke off. But, this tooth is dead because I got a root canal about six years ago. I have no pain or discomfort on the tooth or around the gums but you can see black stuff which I am guessing is the filling they used on my tooth. I am feeling the edges of the remaining tooth snag my cheek a bit. I want to know if I should go to the dentist today or if it can wait.

#

• Your problem is too minor. You can wait up to one month for the further treatment. In case the sharp edge does hurt, do visit a dentist and get it rounded. It will just take three minutes for that procedure.
  • The treatment you require for this is the placement of a crown on that particular tooth. The dentist will do a crown cutting and place a crown made up of zirconia or partial metal fused ceramic or fully ceramic. Your dentist will tell you further what to do.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Swollen gums with bad smell from drilled teeth.

Query: Hello doctor, My bottom teeth were drilled for a root canal but after drilling doctor told that my teeth have a split and he filled that hole with a cavity. From the past one year, my gum was swollen and bad smell is coming out from that teeth. From the past one month, I have had bumps on my back o...  Read Full »

Other than braces, how to close the gap between two front teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a gap between my two front teeth. I feel insecure to the point where I do not smile with my mouth wide open. I told my dentist about this. She said she cannot give me braces. What should I do? Is there anything else I can ask my dentist to give me other than braces to close my gap?  Read Full »

Is it necessary to remove a tooth that is cracked inside the crown?

Query: Hello doctor, When a tooth is cracked inside a crown, is it necessary to remove it? The root canal is from 30 years ago. I got hit two weeks ago which caused the trauma to the tooth.  Read Full »