Q. Why are my gums swollen with bad smell from drilled teeth?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on May 05, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 11, 2018

My bottom teeth were drilled for a root canal but after drilling doctor told that my teeth have a split and he filled that hole with a cavity. From the past one year, my gum was swollen and bad smell is coming out from that teeth. From the past one month, I have had bumps on my back of tongue and white coat. Is this a cause of diseased teeth? Currently, I am on Esoz 40 and Telmekind H.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com

I have read your complaint and the relevant details. My first question would be did you not visit back the dentist after the filling has been done? Because you are already informed that it has a split deep under which means the treatment cannot be just a filling. I wonder why the treatment was ceased half-way.

The ideal treatment plan for a split or fractured tooth should be as follows:

1. Depending on the depth of the fracture it could be root canal filled and fixed with a crown on top.
  2. In case of deep fracture where root canal cannot proceed the tooth has to be pulled out under local anesthesia.

Now the swelling in the gum and the bad odor is because the tooth got decayed heavily and it is over a year. This is called necrosis similar to a dead tooth. The burning sensation and the white coating on the side of your tongue are because of the rubbing of the tongue over the sharp edges of the tooth.

Now the only choice is to remove the tooth and since the friction causing factor is removed the tongue will get back to normal in few days after extraction.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

How can I manage painful swollen gums with ulcers caused by excessive brushing?

Query: Hello doctor, After trying to fix my general teeth and gums, I have managed to get rid of the yellow plaque after a few days. However, after brushing gums excessively, ulcers have appeared, and my gums have swollen slightly and are very painful. I was wondering how to fix them and how long it will t...  Read Full »

Please suggest remedy for small gum abscess.

Query: Hello doctor, I have gum abscess. It is very small and white in color. Should I visit a dentist or will it be alright if I go for home remedies?  Read Full »

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »