Q. For my mom who is 81 year old, which is the best treatment for fracture?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My mother is 81 years old. She had undergone one left shoulder surgery due to a fracture in the neck of the humerus four years ago. She also had experienced a cerebral stroke resulting partial paralysis of the left hand and the left leg. Now, due to a sudden fall on the ground, she also has broken her right humerus. I have attached the x-ray for your reference. Either plaster or sling or surgery, what may be the best treatment? She has been given pain medicine and antibiotic by the treating doctor. I am anxious to know early as the doctor treating her has asked the decision from us.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have gone through your history as well as the images attached to it (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your mother has fractured her right humerus and she also has osteoarthritis in right shoulder and osteoporosis.
  • She had a cerebrovascular accident causing paralysis of the left side, but you have not mentioned the current status of the left upper limb. It recovered or not? If there are signs of recovery, then is the recovery complete or partial?
  • Results for both surgery and conservative methods are nearly same in this age group. My recommendation is to go for surgery because of early mobilization.
  • Movement of the shoulder joint is expected to be restricted in both surgery and conservative management.
  • As already informed by your treating doctor, results will hardly vary and my decision is surgery.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|