Q. Can a freckle reduce in size and disappear?

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh
Published on Feb 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

Please find the images shared by my optometrist. He said I have no freckles. If a freckle develops sometime in one's life, then what would prevent it from growing indefinitely to melanoma? Will it develop for some time and stop? If you do notice the freckle then please clarify doubts which are as follows. Which eye has the freckle? What is the size? Is that small or big? How could the optometrist say there is no freckle? Can a freckle reduce in size eventually and even disappear? What are the odds for this to eventually become melanoma? Please answer all these questions individually.

Dr. Zubair A Shaikh

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

From the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you have sent I do not see a freckle in either eye.

A freckle will show as a pigmented patch in the retina of the eye. If there is a freckle it will not reduce in size on its own. It will increase in size or remain stationary. Lesion and a freckle essentially mean the same, just different terminology.

If a freckle progresses, it can become a melanoma. If it progresses, there is no way you can stop it, without treatment. I suggest, you do more tests, like an OCT (optical coherence tomography), FFA (fundus fluorescein angiography) and an MRI, to be sure. Also take an opinion of an ophthalmologist for through physical evaluation.

Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

Article Overview: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Abdominal Pain: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting 40-70% of women in the reproductive age group. In medical terms we call this as dysmenorrhoea. This is associated with significant psychological, physical, behavioral and social distress. Usually it starts at the onset...  Read Article

The shape of my freckle worries me. Please have a look at it.

Query: Hi doctor, I would like you to look at a freckle (I do not know if it is a mole) that is on my upper thigh. I have had this for many years and it is completely flat. I have not noticed any changes and I have no other symptoms. It was just the shape that I was a bit concerne...  Read Full »

I got a shave biopsy for melanoma in situ. Did the cancer cells get into my bloodstream?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the biopsy that I had done. It was a shave biopsy, and it came back as melanoma in situ. I got a wide excision done, and it looks like there is still some of this mole left that was missed by the shave. If there was still melanoma cells in this left over part of...  Read Full »