Q. How can the problem of tearing frenulum during intercourse in a diabetic be cured?

Dr. Gajanan Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2019

I am aged 46 years. I am having a HbA1c of 7 (recently tested a few days back) and has a problem of tearing my frenulum during intercourse with my partner. I have consulted two urology doctors. The first one says I need a circumcision as there are frequent infections in glans due to sugar levels. Whereas second doctor recommends a frenuloplasty. I am confused. The first doctor says since I have frequent infections due to frequent raised sugar levels, I get smegma quite often in my glans. Please advise me if I need to go for the frenuloplasty or circumcision.

#

First of all, I appreciate you for providing elaborate history which will help in making diagnosis and advising treatment plan. Now, coming to your health query, I can understand your concern and will try to help you. Your diabetes is quite well controlled as per your HbA1c. However, the cause of tear in frenulum occurs due to short frenulum and not always due to infection. Though chances of infection are high in diabetes, usually it causes balanoposthitis and difficulty in retraction of foreskin, which is not the case with you. Smegma is normal secretion under the foreskin and is not a cause for concern, as long as you keep cleaning it.

As far as proposed surgery is concerned, though frenuloplasty is sufficient surgery for short frenulum, circumcision can get rid of both short frenulum as well as smegmatic collection under foreskin. Hence, my advise is circumcision.

| 

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

I put scotch tape on penis to regenerate foreskin. Will my babies have birth defects?

Query: Hello doctor, To make a long story short, I used scotch tape and micropore tape respectively on my penis. Two straps of tape were attached to the penis in the form of a cross, so that they met in the tip of the penis' head, while the ends went all the way down to the skin of the shaft. This allowed...  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»