Q. I have episodes of dull pain over my left eye. What could be causing this?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

I have been having episodes where I will have periods of dull pain over my left eye, the area where the bridge of my nose meets my brow bone. At the same time, I am getting a tingling sensation in my right groin at a very specific location and not a generalized tingling. The periods of pain and tingling used to last for 10 to 15 seconds and would occur maybe once every few days for a week or so and then disappear. They were gone for about a month, but now they have come back and are occurring once every few days for the past one week. They have happened mostly at night or when in a reclining position and have recently woke me up. They tend to coincide with when I am having some amount of post-nasal drip. When I am feeling the pain or tingling I have not found anything that lessen or quicken the pain or make it worse. When I press on the area above my eye where the pain is, it is tender even when not experiencing the pain or tingling. I have not experienced any nausea, headaches, blurred vision, etc. What could be causing this?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understood your concerns.

• From the available description, it is clear that you are having frontal sinusitis which can explain all of your symptoms except tingling sensation in groin.
  • Presence of pain on touch (tenderness), pain while in reclining position and coincidence of pain with post-nasal drip favors the clear cut diagnosis.
  • One thing is that the episodic nature of pain, which is not common with frontal sinusitis but can occur in few cases.
  • I feel that pain over left eye and tingling sensation is not casually related as there is no condition which can explain both these symptoms on basis of single disease.
  • The one possibility is anxiety associated with recurrent pain can be cause of tingling over the groin area although constant nature of tingling on same location points against anxiety.
  • We can expect that complete neurological examination will reveal the true nature of association. At this moment, I must assure you that this is not something serious and get yourself treated for sinusitis to break the event of chains.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

Thank you for your response. I had a feeling that this was sinus related. One more question is sometimes the tingling precedes the pain by a few seconds, which I do not think would rule out anxiety. Is there a nerve or some sort of referred pain that could be causing these two symptoms to be linked? That is the sinus putting pressure on a nerve that is somehow connected to the groin. I never had head pain without the tingling and vice versa and find that the tingling is most annoying.

#

• In a normal person, every nerve has area of distribution and there is overlapping on superficial areas. Since both of your pain and tingling areas are remotely located from each other there is no possibility of referred pain or something else casually associated with each other.
  • If I go for details area over the left eye and groin are supplied by cervical nerves and sacral nerves and there is no link possible in a normal person.
  • In addition, if I guess that there is some aberrant connection, although possibility is one in millions then the other associated symptoms cannot be explained by the lesion of single nerve.
  • I do agree with anxiety component a possible explanation, but as you pointed there are certain loopholes to associate both things with anxiety.
  • So to conclude, I stand with my opinion that there is no direct connection between the pain and tingling in distant locations and this may be just a coincidence which is repeatedly taking place and became associated due to some underlying mechanism based on anxiety.

|