Q. Can cortisone creams help treat fungal infections?

Dr. Nidhin Varghese

I am a 39-year-old female. I have had a very itchy fungal infection on the bumps under my thighs for the past year. I have tried many medicines and creams, but they were no use. I am only using cortisone cream, which has reduced the rashes, but not the itching. Can you please suggest the best medicine and creams for this condition to me?

#

I can understand your concern. However, fungal infections take two to three months to cure fully, so you need to take treatment properly. Treatment depends on the lesion’s size, extent, and distribution, so you will have to share pictures of your affected area. Only then can I comment on the medication required. Cortisone is a steroid cream. It may temporarily make you feel less itchy, but you are helping the fungus become stronger and bigger by using it. Please stop using steroids on infection. If you can share your photographs, I can help you with your treatment.

|