Q. My daughter has a bald patch on her head. What condition is this?

Dr. Shaunak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 22, 2015 and last reviewed on: Mar 02, 2019

My 2 year old daughter has a bald patch on head. It is oval in shape with no hair in it. It is getting bigger time to time. I am waiting for her blood test appointment now. What is this condition called? How to cure it?

#

I presume it as tinea capitis or simply a fungal infection of the scalp. Do not worry, hair can regrow again and there is no permanent damage. It is common in children. It is very important to start the following early for best results:

1. Stop oiling the scalp. Oil is food for fungus.
  2. Visit a dermatologist for the prescription drug. However, I am suggesting you a shampoo containing Ciclopirox olamine (antifungal). Apply to wet scalp and leave for two minutes and then rinse off. Continue it for a month with five times weekly shampooing.
  3. Apply Clotrimazole cream twice daily in the affected part for a month. Apply the cream slightly beyond the patch margin to cover invisible fungus in normal-looking skin too.

Before we commence treatment, wash baby cap or cloth coming in contact with the baby's head in hot water with some antiseptic. It is crucial to kill the fungus sticking on to the cloth. Same applies to her comb. Otherwise, it will relapse.

|