Q. My daughter has a bald patch on her head. What condition is this?

Dr. Shaunak Patel
Published on Dec 22, 2015 and last reviewed on: Mar 02, 2019

My 2 year old daughter has a bald patch on head. It is oval in shape with no hair in it. It is getting bigger time to time. I am waiting for her blood test appointment now. What is this condition called? How to cure it?

Dr. Shaunak Patel

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I presume it as tinea capitis or simply a fungal infection of the scalp. Do not worry, hair can regrow again and there is no permanent damage. It is common in children. It is very important to start the following early for best results:

1. Stop oiling the scalp. Oil is food for fungus.
  2. Visit a dermatologist for the prescription drug. However, I am suggesting you a shampoo containing Ciclopirox olamine (antifungal). Apply to wet scalp and leave for two minutes and then rinse off. Continue it for a month with five times weekly shampooing.
  3. Apply Clotrimazole cream twice daily in the affected part for a month. Apply the cream slightly beyond the patch margin to cover invisible fungus in normal-looking skin too.

Before we commence treatment, wash baby cap or cloth coming in contact with the baby's head in hot water with some antiseptic. It is crucial to kill the fungus sticking on to the cloth. Same applies to her comb. Otherwise, it will relapse.

How far should I space the use of Avenova spray and Cliradex wipes on eyelid?

Query: Hello doctor, I am starting Avenova spray and Cliradex wipes for my eyelids, which have blepharitis and MGD. How far apart should I space each one? I do not want to irritate the eyelids.  Read Full >>

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do space them some time apart. 2 to 3 hours would be optimal so that each can act individually. Both have an antiseptic effect on low-grade bacteria causing blepharitis along with add on effects (detergent and non-detergent) and hence improving hygiene. Hence, spacing the...  Read Full

From the photo, please confirm if my son has ringworm infection.

Query: Hi doctor,mI believe that my 6 year old son has ringworm infection. It started out small and then within a few days has gotten larger. I have attached the photo for your reference.  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Yes, you are right. It does appear to be a ringworm infection of the scalp called as tinea capitis. I suggest that you have a culture of the skin scrapings or microbi...  Read Full

Why am I having itching and irritation near genital area?

Query: Hello doctor,I am suffering from heavy itching and irritation in the area between thighs near genital area and asshole area. Currently, I am using Candid B lotion and Clotrimazole cream.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Avoid Candid B (Beclometasone and Clotrimazole) cream. It is a fungal infection. You will need oral antifungal medication. Are you allergic to oral medication? Are you diabetic? For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-d...  Read Full