Q. How to permanently get rid of jock itch?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I was infected with a fungal infection (jock itch) when I was 14 years old, and I am 36 years old now. I tried all kinds of fungal creams, but it relieves only temporarily. And recently, I had another episode with severe itching. The skin of my scrotum is getting scaly. I have lost hope of recovering from this disease. Should I try homeopathy? Every time I visit a doctor, they just suggest some cream and dusting powder, which does not help much.

#

• Please send few good quality photographs taken under natural light.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for replying. I have attached few photos. The skin has improved a lot in the past 2 to 3 days, and it could be misleading. I have been applying dusting powder, so the skin is not looking bad today. But a few days back, there was red patches and blood due to itching.

#

I have seen the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

• I suggest you try taking the following medicines.
  1. Capsule Sporanox (Itraconazole) 100 mg, thrice daily for ten days after meals with lemon water.
  2. Lulibet (Luliconazole) cream, apply twice daily.
  3. Stieprox lotion (Ciclopirox Olamine), apply half an hour before bath.
  4. Tablet Teczine M (combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast), twice daily for ten days.
  • Try these medicines for 3 to 4 months, according to the response. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Review in ten days.

Revert after ten days to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Could you help me understand what disease I am facing? Is it simple fungal infection or more than that?

#

Welcome back of icliniq.com.

Changes in skin texture will occur after months of therapy. Have you taken the medication of the same brand as stated?

I took extactly the same medicine of the same brand you suggested. The capsule Sporanox was quite expensive as well. I finished the doses as per the frequency. I should not expect the result only after 10 days as I know it is an old skin disease and might take months. Please advice on the next step. Thank you.

#

First of all extremely sorry for late reply, was busy with some personal issues. Since it has not responded a bit to Sporanox, I am suspecting my diagnosis because if it is a fungal infection, it should have responded even in 10 days because there is no better medication for it.

Secondly, I would advise you visit local good dermatologist to rule out flexural psoriasis and crucial lichen planus.

Physical examination is required to confirm these diagnosis. Also, ask your dermatologist to examine carefully and also tell him that you had taken Sporanox without any response. Thanks.

| 

I have fungal infection in my ear.Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with fungal ear infection yesterday. Doctor asked me to get admitted in the hospital for a microsuction to remove fungal debris. Is it mandatory to stay at the hospital overnight for a microsuction? Can microsuction be done as an out patient procedure without staying in...  Read Full »

Can I take Levocet M for itchy throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a problem of nose block and my ENT surgeon suggested me to go for a nose operation. As per doctor instruction, operation of my nose was carried out before three months. Now my nose is almost fine, but still I feel that something is there in my throat. I also feel itchy throat and e...  Read Full »

What causes scrotum redness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old male. I am having a burning sensation and redness in my scrotum. I consulted two doctors from the same hospital. The doctor diagnosed it as scrotal dermatitis. The first doctor prescribed the following: Motimesh cream (to be applied at night) for 10 days, Abzorb Dus...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»