Q. How to permanently get rid of jock itch?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I was infected with a fungal infection (jock itch) when I was 14 years old, and I am 36 years old now. I tried all kinds of fungal creams, but it relieves only temporarily. And recently, I had another episode with severe itching. The skin of my scrotum is getting scaly. I have lost hope of recovering from this disease. Should I try homeopathy? Every time I visit a doctor, they just suggest some cream and dusting powder, which does not help much.

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• Please send few good quality photographs taken under natural light.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Thank you for replying. I have attached few photos. The skin has improved a lot in the past 2 to 3 days, and it could be misleading. I have been applying dusting powder, so the skin is not looking bad today. But a few days back, there was red patches and blood due to itching.

#

I have seen the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

• I suggest you try taking the following medicines.
  1. Capsule Sporanox (Itraconazole) 100 mg, thrice daily for ten days after meals with lemon water.
  2. Lulibet (Luliconazole) cream, apply twice daily.
  3. Stieprox lotion (Ciclopirox Olamine), apply half an hour before bath.
  4. Tablet Teczine M (combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast), twice daily for ten days.
  • Try these medicines for 3 to 4 months, according to the response. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Review in ten days.

Revert after ten days to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

Could you help me understand what disease I am facing? Is it simple fungal infection or more than that?

#

Welcome back of icliniq.com.

Changes in skin texture will occur after months of therapy. Have you taken the medication of the same brand as stated?

| 

I took extactly the same medicine of the same brand you suggested. The capsule Sporanox was quite expensive as well. I finished the doses as per the frequency. I should not expect the result only after 10 days as I know it is an old skin disease and might take months. Please advice on the next step. Thank you.

#

First of all extremely sorry for late reply, was busy with some personal issues. Since it has not responded a bit to Sporanox, I am suspecting my diagnosis because if it is a fungal infection, it should have responded even in 10 days because there is no better medication for it.

Secondly, I would advise you visit local good dermatologist to rule out flexural psoriasis and crucial lichen planus.

Physical examination is required to confirm these diagnosis. Also, ask your dermatologist to examine carefully and also tell him that you had taken Sporanox without any response. Thanks.

|