Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. I have a small cyst like bump on penile shaft with inflamed hair follicle. What is that?

Answered by
Dr. Deepti Shukla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 21, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have recently developed a small cyst like bump on the shaft of my penis. I have had this for about three weeks now, after I saw that one of my hair follicles was red and I tried to squeeze it, and ended up becoming blistery and inflamed. However, over the three weeks I have had it, it has shown improvement and reduced in size, but I want to get a specialist opinion on what this could be. I am thinking it could just be an infected follicle, if there is any treatment you would recommend that would also be great.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology


Welcome to

From the history and photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems you have developed furunculosis. It is a bacterial infection of hair follicle and its surrounding area. We need to start you on oral and topical antibiotics for this.

Take tablet Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg one tablet twice daily after food for seven days, apply Sodium fusidate cream twice daily for seven days, and tablet Acebon SP (Aceclofenac + Paracetamol + Serratiopeptidase) one tablet once daily after food for three days. Do not apply anything else.

If it does not resolve in seven days then please follow up.

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

Will I have to go to the GP to get this?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology


Welcome back to

Yes, you need to get a prescription from GP. You can easily get the prescription from a GP in your country and start the treatment.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What can cause itchy bumps on penis that cluster together?
Will candidiasis cause red bumps on penis after sex?
From the picture, kindly advise the treatment for my skin infection.
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to prevent frequent painful boils on abdomen?

Query: Hi doctor, I keep getting boils on my abdomen once every two to three weeks. They are painful and leave behind scars. I have been having this condition for the past two years. Earlier it was severe with new boils occurring every few days and now it has become less frequent. My local dermatologist di...  Read Full »

Why is there a recurring infected sore with pus on my skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I keep getting quite bad infected sore on my skin like a small pimple with a little pus initially which then gets infected. About 14 months ago, I got one of these on one side of my leg and middle of the upper thigh. It got worse over a few days and then blew up very infected, and I ...  Read Full »

I have a red bump near my nose piercing. Please suggest some ointment.

Query: Hi doctor, I got a nose piercing done a month back. It was done with a gunshot, and the metal did not suit me. It ended up with a swelling at the area. I changed it to a gold stud, which worked and the piercing was fine till now. From the past 4 to 5 days, I can see a red bump near the piercing. I v...  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.