Q. I have a small cyst like bump on penile shaft with inflamed hair follicle. What is that?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

I have recently developed a small cyst like bump on the shaft of my penis. I have had this for about three weeks now, after I saw that one of my hair follicles was red and I tried to squeeze it, and ended up becoming blistery and inflamed. However, over the three weeks I have had it, it has shown improvement and reduced in size, but I want to get a specialist opinion on what this could be. I am thinking it could just be an infected follicle, if there is any treatment you would recommend that would also be great.

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

From the history and photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it seems you have developed furunculosis. It is a bacterial infection of hair follicle and its surrounding area. We need to start you on oral and topical antibiotics for this.

Take tablet Amoxyclav (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg one tablet twice daily after food for seven days, apply Sodium fusidate cream twice daily for seven days, and tablet Acebon SP (Aceclofenac + Paracetamol + Serratiopeptidase) one tablet once daily after food for three days. Do not apply anything else.

If it does not resolve in seven days then please follow up.

| 

Will I have to go to the GP to get this?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

Dermatology Venereology
#

Yes, you need to get a prescription from GP. You can easily get the prescription from a GP in your country and start the treatment.

|