Q. What can be the reason for recurrent boil?

Published on Oct 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I have a boil on my inner thigh, which keeps recurring. I have had a boil in the same spot before. When I popped it went away, but now it has come back. It is also very painful. Please help.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have read your query.

It seems that you are having furunculosis. Boils (also called furuncles) are a deep bacterial infection of hair follicles.

The cause of recurrence may be Staphylococcus aureus, which is most commonly carried in the nostrils, armpits, between the legs and in the cleft between the buttocks. It may be transferred to other sites from the nostrils through the finger nails.

General measures to avoid the recurrence are as follows.

• Follow a balanced healthy diet with meat, plenty of fruit and vegetables. Avoid smoking.
  • Wash your whole body once a day with soap or cleanser and water. Wash your hands several times daily or use antiseptic hand rubs.
  • Do not share your towel with other family members. Maintain a clean handkerchief and do not pick your nose.
  • Change your underclothes and night attire regularly.
  • Try to avoid activities that cause sweating and friction from clothing, such as squash and jogging.
  • If you are iron deficient, a course of Iron tablets may help reduce infection.

Regarding treatment, I suggest oral antibiotics like tablet Augmentin 625 mg (combination of Amoxicillin and Clavulanate potassium) if you are not allergic to penicillin group. Take one tablet thrice daily for five days.

Also, my suggestion is to apply Mupirocin twice daily for five days. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Androgenic Alopecia (Pattern Baldness)

Article Overview: Are you losing hair from the top of the head? This type of hair loss is called androgenic alopecia. Read the article to know the available treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Male pattern hair loss is more common in many people and is called androgenic alopecia. Usually, it begins around the temples and on the top of the head. It is M-shaped at first to reach around the head and insides. The complete scalp can be involved at times. Generally, it is associated with sex ho...  Read Article

Why is there a sore pimple in my vagina lips?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a very sore pimple on the inner side of my outer vagina lips. I have had the occasional one in the past on the same side and usually around the same area. It is like an ingrown hair or clogged follicle. I do shave down there. They usually go away on its own but this one seems very...  Read Full »

Why is there a recurring infected sore with pus on my skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I keep getting quite bad infected sore on my skin like a small pimple with a little pus initially which then gets infected. About 14 months ago, I got one of these on one side of my leg and middle of the upper thigh. It got worse over a few days and then blew up very infected, and I ...  Read Full »