Q. How to manage lung infection and paralysis after gallbladder surgery?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My aunt had faced an operation of her gallbladder and the doctor said that she is good and the operation is successful. But after 3 days she faced lung infection, on which the current report says that the virus are reduced from 35000 to 16500 in 5 days. Also her right hand and right leg has no movement. So, last night CT scan was run on her and the report says that she had a blood clot on the right part of brain due to which she is paralyzed by her right wing. So, I need some good suggestion from you that what should I do in this situation?

#

I read your query and understand your concerns and also had a look at the reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• First of all I like to assure you that current problems can be treated in effective way barring paralysis which will take some time.
  • Regarding gallbladder operation and lung infection, I like to inform you that it is a known complication of surgery and sometime occurs despite the best effort of doctors.
  • The problem becomes more acute if the patient is elderly as in your aunt's case.
  • Regarding paralysis, I feel these two things are not much related but can be a coincidence.
  • Since she is doing well (reduction of count from 35000 to 16500) and doctors are putting best effort (timely detection of infarct), I think you need to be supportive with the treating doctor.
  • That will be enough for them and at the same time try to instill positive hope in your aunt which is much required at this hour.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|