Q. How to manage lung infection and paralysis after gallbladder surgery?

Published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My aunt had faced an operation of her gallbladder and the doctor said that she is good and the operation is successful. But after 3 days she faced lung infection, on which the current report says that the virus are reduced from 35000 to 16500 in 5 days. Also her right hand and right leg has no movement. So, last night CT scan was run on her and the report says that she had a blood clot on the right part of brain due to which she is paralyzed by her right wing. So, I need some good suggestion from you that what should I do in this situation?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns and also had a look at the reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity).

• First of all I like to assure you that current problems can be treated in effective way barring paralysis which will take some time.
  • Regarding gallbladder operation and lung infection, I like to inform you that it is a known complication of surgery and sometime occurs despite the best effort of doctors.
  • The problem becomes more acute if the patient is elderly as in your aunt's case.
  • Regarding paralysis, I feel these two things are not much related but can be a coincidence.
  • Since she is doing well (reduction of count from 35000 to 16500) and doctors are putting best effort (timely detection of infarct), I think you need to be supportive with the treating doctor.
  • That will be enough for them and at the same time try to instill positive hope in your aunt which is much required at this hour.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

For extramedullary lesion, does the patient need surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, The patient is diagnosed to have partial agenesis of corpus callosum and colpocephaly. Also, there is late onset of seizures with nodular intradural extramedullary lesion seen at L1 body and L1-L2 disc level with significant conus and caudal compression or displacement to the left side. ...  Read Full »

MRI shows stroke and brain changes. Is it due to untreated sleep apnea?

Query: Hello doctor, The patient underwent extensive routine physical examination including MR/CT imaging and laboratory analysis earlier this month. The MR Brain shows evidence of lacunar stroke and ischemic brain changes. Please advise if these might be connected to untreated obstructive sleep apnea (mor...  Read Full »