Q. I am experiencing chest pain, breathing difficulty, and my nails have turned bluish. Please help.

Dr. Alexander Davis, Md

Hi, I am experiencing chest pain (not continuous) since last week. Sometimes I have difficulty breathing and frequently I have sore throat and sleep problems. But more than two weeks now I noticed the change in the color of my nails, both hands and feet (from reddish before, now they're pale violet/bluish). Generally I am always cold and just today have a dry throat though I am always drinking water.

#

Dear,

Thank you for your question.You did the right thing by contacting us. I read very carefully what you wrote and unfortunately I come to the conclusion that you are suffering from a severe lung infection with hypoxia. Since we are in the midst of a pandemic it could very well be COVID-19 in an advanced stage.

The fact that your fingernails have changed their color into violett or bluish color is a red flag which indicates that you have to seek medical attention immediately.

Bluish fingers or lips are a strong indication that your body is running short on oxygen! This is an emergency!

As soon as you will have read this answer, please go directly to an emergency room or call an emergency doctor to see you right where you are in this moment. Cover your face, you might be contagious.

Please take this seriously, although I always hope that I’m wrong in these cases because I wish every patient to be as healthy as possible. But in your case you have to take immediate action without a second thought.

I wish you a speedy recovery and please get back to me and tell me how you are. I’m truly worried about you.

Lung infection with hypoxia.
MEDICAL EMERGENCY

Covid-19 test
Chest x-ray or CT

Pneumonia due to another cause than Sars-CoV-2.

Covid-19

Seek medical attention immediately!

Cover mouth and nose to not infect other people.

Next appointment here in 5 days.

| 
1 out of 1 likes

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full »

I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety. What is the treatment?

Query: Hello doctor,Recently I am suffering from lack of sleep and anxiety, last night I could not sleep at all because of restlessness and from a couple of days. I have been sleeping less for like two to three hours in the night. I am also suffering from anxiety, where I sweat a lot and become restless. P...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now