Q. Please interpret my mom's abdominal ultrasound and guide with gallstone removal.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2021

I have attached a report of my mother's abdominal ultrasound. Please explain the seriousness of the issue.

#

According to your statement, you have been suffering from abdominal pain. According to the USG (ultrasound) of W/A (whole abdomen) report that is provided here (attachment removed to patient identity) has shown that hepatomegaly with fatty liver grade-1, acute calculus cholecystitis with mildly dilated small bowel loops.

Deposition of fat in the liver leads to fatty liver. For her acute calculus cholecystitis, at that moment, she may need conservative treatment, and after six weeks, she should be undergone surgical intervention for the removal of calculus from the gallbladder. For her presenting inflammation like acute calculus cholecystitis, her liver becomes enlarged.

Dilated small bowel loops may result from obstruction, gas or fluids, or inflammation like acute cholecystitis.

I hope I have interpreted her USG of W/A and her next steps for her present suffering and treatment plan.

Is the removal of gallbladder stones a major surgery?

#

Cholecystectomy operation is a very common operation, but it is a major operation. There are two surgical procedures available open cholecystectomy and laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The patient can choose either one for the removal of gallstones. These two procedures may have some minor complications, but these surgical procedures should be done only after six weeks. By this time patient should undergo conservative treatment. Consult with a surgeon for conservative treatment as well as preparation for the next surgical intervention.

|