Q. My mother has gallstones. Should we get it removed as an emergency?

Dr. Lalit Bansal
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 19, 2020

My mother is 59 years old. She has gallstone and she was supposed to have cholecystectomy but was postponed due to quarantine. Last month was the supposed schedule and that time the size of the stone in her gall bladder was 3 cm. Now she is experiencing increased pain on her right shoulder. I would like to know if there is something she can do for the pain or should she have her gall bladder removed?

#

I will help you with your problem. Gall stone surgery is not emergency surgery. It should be done in an emergency if there is gall bladder perforation or malignancy.

In your case, the stone size is large, and with the age of the patient malignancy is ruled out. I will advise to go for CT (computed tomography) scan if possible. If not at least USG (ultrasound) abdomen should be done. If everything is normal and only stones are there then you can wait for some time. Consult in an emergency if she developed jaundice any time. For pain, she may take any regular pain killers. Avoid fatty diet and get back to me after investigations.

|