Q. I have gaps between my teeth as I did not get retainers for two months. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 12, 2021

I had my braces for two and a half years. Before lockdown, I removed my braces. Due to lockdown, I was unable to have my retainers. Now, I have developed some gaps between my teeth in these two months. I want to know whether anything will help me. Though my dentist has taken an impression of my teeth and an appointment was planned for the next week, is there anything that you recommend to me?

#

I went through your query. I suggest you get your retainer as soon as possible. It helps in correcting the gaps that you are facing now. As it is an orthodontic treatment, nothing can be done at home. Maintain your oral hygiene. Use Betadine mouthwash for gargling. Mix them with lukewarm water and use it two to three times a day for two weeks. Use a soft bristle brush and follow a stroke in a gentle vertical motion. Floss whenever you brush and use a tongue scraper. These measures will help in maintaining healthy oral hygiene. Get your retainer soon and wear it as soon as possible. Start practicing eating by wearing them. Remove it before bedtime at night and place it in a container containing water. Brush the retainer too whenever you brush your teeth. This is the way by which you clean the appliance.

|