Q. What is your opinion about my husband's report?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 01, 2020

My husband is 35 years old. He is suffering from abdominal pain since last four weeks. When he gets pain it lasts for an hour. His hands and feet get cold. He had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done. The report says body and antral type gastric mucosa with mild chronic active gastritis composed of scattered lymphocytes and plasma cells in the lamina propria. There were minor changes suggestive of a PPI effect on acid secreting tubes. H.pylori not detected. There is no intestinal metaplasia, dysplasia or malignancy. His blood test report says lipase level 82 U/L. What do you suggest from the reports?

#

• Your husband is suffering from chronic gastritis, for which he has been taking medications since long time and therefore endoscopy also detected changes in stomach mucosa due to this in addition to changes of gastritis.
  • Although, biopsy report mentions negative Helicobacter pylori test, but almost 95% gastritis due to H.pylori infection occur in antral area of the stomach.
  • If gastritis is due to H.pylori infection, then it requires a course of specific antibiotics without which there will be a relapse of symptoms over a long period of time.
  • It is possible that biopsy sample, which was taken at the level of the junction of the body and antrum part of the stomach may not be positive for H.pylori infection. In such case, a non-invasive urea breath test is useful to confirm H.pylori infection.
  • About lipase level, it is within normal limits.

H.pylori infection.

Repeat upper GI endoscopy and urea breath test.

1. Pan gastritis.
2. GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

Antral gastritis.

Continue treatment for gastritis and he might require treatment for H.pylori infection.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|