Q. Is IV Metronidazole suggested for acute gastroenteritis in a 12-year-old kid?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Would you give Metronidazole IV to a 12-year-old child with suspected gastroenteritis? He has nausea, vomiting, smelly watery diarrhea, and after four hours of the onset of nausea and vomiting. Please help.

#

No, it is not required. Most acute gastroenteritis resolve on their own. Consider giving ORS (oral rehydration solution) as much as you can, 150 to 200 ml after every loose stool.

Give Lopermaide one tablet after loose stools not more than thrice daily and not more than three days. And share with me the blood workup. I want to see how much WBC are raised.

One dose of 500 mg in 100 ml IV just started. I am waiting to have the WBC result.

#

There is no problem with one dose. But usually, it is not recommended unless stool or blood shows Entamoeba histolytica infection.

Or you can test blood IHA titer for Entamoeba histolytica.

Sorry, it looks like I missed out on the fever in the initial report above. He had a fever about four hours after the onset of nausea and vomiting. Two doses of 1g Paracetamol were given last night and this early morning. No further temperature since. He has managed to eat this evening.

#

How much was the fever? If it is less than 100.5 F, then it is not significant.

|