Q. Is it normal for intestine to be not inside in 12 weeks fetus?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am 12 weeks one day pregnant. I went in for my NT scan today and they said it has possible gastroschisis and I am honestly just so worried. I have a checkup in the next two weeks but I am just curious to know if it could be normal that the intestines still are not inside the fetus? Is it too early to diagnose? I am so stressed and worried.

#

Normally intestine is outside body of the fetus from 6 to 10 weeks of gestation is known as an intestinal hernia. Around 11 weeks it should be inside the body of the fetus. If you have been irregular periods there could be a discrepancy of dates between the scan and your menstrual periods then you need rescan to check things again.

Gastroschisis and omphalocele two defects if a similar place of a fetal body with some difference. Better to have nuchal translucency check now as it should be done around 13 weeks via scan in fetus having a risk of congenital defects. You might need double marker test to check for any syndrome. So better to have serum beta hCG and serum PAPPA (pappalysin-1) checked. Have nuchal translucency and double marker test now and discuss here or local gynecologist and then repeat scan as per schedule after two weeks.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|