Q. I have a black wart on my right major labia. Could this be vulvar melanoma?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 24, 2020

I think I have vulvar melanoma. I found I have something like a wart on my right major labia and I read it can be melanoma. I think it was all black before but I can't be sure.

I have done blood work, liver and renal funtion tests that came back normal. Chest x-ray is also normal.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have seen the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

See, vulvar melanoma is a rare cancer, and usually a disease of older women. I would like to know if you have any itching or pain at that site or any bleeding from that pigmented area or even any increase in the size of that area? Also, I would like to know if you are sexually active and have had any genital warts lesions previously?

Ideally, any pigmented lesion should be biopsied to establish a proper diagnosis. If you have noticed this as a recent onset change then it would be advisable to have a consultation and check up with your gynecologist and get the area biopsied once she examines it.

Based on the picture only, it could be more commonly a genital wart, most commonly human papillomavirus (HPV) associated or some mole which would have been present before but come to your notice recently (just a possibility). Melanoma appears to be a very remote and rare possibility. So you can rest assured.

But in any case, I advise you to get a check up in person and get the area biopsied to establish the proper diagnosis.

|