Q. Does HPV vaccine cure genital warts?

Dr. Satyajit Jalinder Pawar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 03, 2020

I am a 50-year-old male. I had genital warts five years ago, had them removed via cauterization and received three injections of HPV vaccine Gardasil. The doctor said the vaccine would cure the virus, but after a year, warts reappeared and until now they are still in my scrotum, and they are itchy but not painful. My question is that can I have sex with my partner given my current condition? Have I got cured by HPV vaccine?

#

HPV vaccine is not a cure. It is for the prevention of HPV. It prevents the virus from entering in your body. But, it cannot act on cells which are already infected with the virus.

About sex, there is a chance that with contact, virus can spread to your partner if not already infected. And being on scrotum, the methods like condom will not help. You would need to get treatment first for warts.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|