Q. I have some sort of allergy on penis head. What is it?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Mar 27, 2016

I am 31 years old. I have two small affected areas on my penis head and it is not going away. They get dry as they regrow and sometimes, I peel off the dry part using a nail cutter. I am really concerned about this. It is not smooth as it used to be. I am going to attach photos for your reference.

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your question and I have also reviewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

These are most likely warts or condyloma acuminata which is an infection caused by human papilloma virus (HPV).

The infection is usually acquired by sexual contact with an infected sexual partner. Are you sexually active?

HPV infection (human papilloma virus).

Genital warts.

Electrocautery or radiofrequency ablation.

Revert back with the detailed history to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

No, I have not been in any sexual activity with another partner.

Dr. Kakkar

#

• Rarely, common warts known as verruca vulgaris can also occur on genitalia.
  • I suggest you to get them cauterized by a procedure known as electrocautery.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Is there any cream or medicine that you would recommend instead of getting it cauterized? Do verruca warts disappear with time?

Dr. Kakkar

#

• You may use Tretinoin 0.05% cream, once daily for four to eight weeks. However, if that does not work, you should get it cauterized.
  • They can disappear on their own by body's own immunity acting against the virus, but sometimes they can persist for quite a long time.

Molluscum Contagiosum

Article Overview: Molluscum contagiosum is a contagious viral infection, which results in raised nodules on the skin. Learn about its clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment. Read Article

Molluscum contagiosum in adults, a sexually transmitted disease (STD), is described as asymptomatic pimples over the genitalia by most of the patients. It is basically caused by Molluscum contagiosum virus, a DNA virus of the poxvirus family. It spreads by close contact commonly with the children, t...  Read Article

Do I need biopsy for genital warts on penile head?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with genital warts on the penile head. I was given Imiquimod cream to be applied for 10 to 15 minutes in the morning on alternate days and then wash off. The treatment went on for two months. Warts became lighter but did not go completely. It is definitely better than b...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Imiquimod is good medicine for genital wart. It has to be applied thrice a week for 16 weeks. If you see results with Imiquimod, I would suggest you stick to Imiquimod and complete the full course. Other options for genital wart are Podowart application (Podophyllotoxi...  Read Full

Genital Warts (Condylomata Acuminata) - a Sexually Transmitted Infection

Article Overview: Current evidence suggests that over 50% of sexually active adults (15 to 25 years of age) have been infected with one or more human papilloma virus - HPV infection. The underlying HPV infection may increase the evidence and prevalence of genital warts. Read Article

Venereologist

Condyloma, a Greek word with the meaning of round tumor, has been recognized as a distinct entity since ancient times. Mucosal HPV infections are the most common sexually transmitted infections (STIs). It can occur on anogenital or oral mucosa or skin. HPV present in the birth canal can be transmitt...  Read Article