Q. I have spots on my pubic area. What could this be?

Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2018

Hello doctor,

I have these spots on my pubic area for a while now. I visited an STD clinic two years ago and the woman who saw these said they are genital warts. I also had one on the shaft of my penis. She used nitrogen to freeze them and they disappeared (except for the big one that you can see in the pictures, that one did not disappear). Now I believe the spots are back. Went to my doctor and he says they are not warts and wants to scrape them away with a sharp spoon (literally what he said). He was not sure what it is but believes they are not warts. What is your opinion? I did a previous free consult and the doctor says it is follicle infection and I should use antibiotics. However, I want to have a second opinion as I looked up the images for this infection and do not think it looks the same. Also, I have used Amoxycillin about half a year ago and this did not influence the big spot, as I have it now for at least two years.



Welcome to

I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The bigger one is looking like a wart and needs to be removed either by chemical cauterization or electrocautery. The smaller ones seem to be either folliculitis or warts. I would recommend you to apply a topical antibiotic like Fusidic acid cream on the smaller lesions twice daily for 7 to 10 days. This should resolve them. If they do not improve in a week time consult a doctor and get them removed.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have genital warts on my penis shaft. Will the HPV vaccine prevent me from getting it?

.. understand your concern. Regarding HPV (human papillomavirus), once you get infected, you will always be positive. Symptoms can be on and off depending on the type of HPV you get infected with. If you keep your immune system good, the chances of t...   Read full

I have itchy scalp. Is it folliculitis?

.. checked your photos (attachments removed to protect patient identity). It is better you go for haircut and shave or trim beard. It may be due to folliculitis or fungal infection by the description. You can get it examined by a doctor or dermatol...   Read full

Got a boil in pubic region after unprotected sex. Is it STD?

Either chemical cauterization or radiocautery could be done ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Sexual Problems and Depression
Depression is one of the commonest psychiatric problems in the general population. About 10 % of men and more than doubl...  Read more»
Holiday Season During the Pandemic
Most of us wonder if there is a way to celebrate the holiday season during the COVID-19 pandemic safely. Here are some i...  Read more»
Skin Care Tips To Win Over Winter
This article discusses a few tips to manage and protect your skin during winter.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cosmetologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.