iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologymolluscum contagiosumCan a boil on the groin be STD?

Got a boil in pubic region after unprotected sex. Is it STD?

Got a boil in pubic region after unprotected sex. Is it STD?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 18, 2017
Reviewed AtJune 29, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 23 year old male. My height is 5.41" and weight is 171.96 Ibs. I had a whitehead boil kind of thing in the pubic region for around three to four months. But, there was no pain on touching or pressing. Now very recently, I got four more similar things at the end of penis near the junction. They are also painless. I initially assumed it as a boil due to hair breaking, but now I am not sure. I pierced the initial boil that developed months back and from which some pus and two drops of blood came out. Rest four boils are also similar, but currently smaller in size. Kindly request you to tell what is it and how to cure. I had unprotected intercourse before a year, The first boil I observed was around five months later to that incident and the new four boils have come up just 10 days back. I used my friend's towel for bathing. He is a very unhygienic guy and he used to have unprotected sex a lot of times in a month with different partners. Is this STD? Please suggest treatment. Is it a boil or something? Since physical examination is not possible, I am attaching labeled photos. Kindly check the photos. Thank you.


Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query in detail and viewed the attached pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and do understand your concern.

The Probable causes

These could be due to a sexually transmitted infection, mainly molluscum contagiosum. Molluscum contagiosum usually presents as pearly white umblicated papules.

Investigations to be done

I would advise you to get yourself tested for other STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) for example HIV test (human immunodeficiency virus), and VDRL test (venereal disease research laboratory).

Treatment plan

These lesions will require cauterization by your dermatologist. Either chemical cauterization or radiocautery could be done.

Regarding follow up

Revert back with the investigation report to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply.

Does this mean I most probably have STD?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, genital molluscum contagiosum is a sexually transmitted disease. But, it is not as harmful as other STDs, because lesions remain confined to the skin and do not cause any internal damage. However, investigations are required to rule out other STDs.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy