Q. How to get reassured that I do not have stomach cancer?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,I will be honest and say this is primarily for reassurance from a fear of esophageal and stomach cancer as I suffer very badly from chronic hypochondriasis, for which I am getting treatment for in the form of CBT and on Venlafaxine 225 mg. I am a 43 year old male. I was a social smoker till my 30 years of age and nothing since. I watch my alcohol intake and had 6 months of abstinence in the 1st half of last year. I am 5'11", 12 stone and active.Over 8 years, I have occasionally got food stuck, normally chicken or steak when I have been shoveling it down. Three years ago I got a piece of steak stuck and had to go to A and E. This was eventually removed with the aid of a gastroscope and was embarrassingly very large. As part of this, they noticed some inflammation and took a number of biopsies as the doctor suspected I had eosinophilic esophagitis. However, they all turned up completely clear. I was prescribed 20 mg Omeprazole. Last year, following a fear I had seen blood in the stool, I got very anxious and ended up having a colonoscopy. This was also completely clear. This year during Christmas, I over indulged a little and on Christmas day got a piece of turkey temporarily stuck, although some water got it down. For some reason though I then began convincing myself I had esophageal cancer or even stomach cancer. This has lead to a number of follow on symptoms like a bit of pain behind my breastbone, belching, getting obsessed with swallowing my own spit and becoming more anxious. I went to see my GP. I explained her all my above symptoms though no vomiting, weight loss, cough, etc. She did a very thorough physical examination, felt for obstructions, tapped my chest cavity and listened to my stomach gurgling. After all of these she said there was absolutely no risk of me having esophageal cancer and told me to up the Omeprazole for a month and relax, then see her again then. However, I am still scared I now have stomach cancer as I do not think any biopsies were done in that area. Please can you provide me with reassurance that I do not have stomach or esophageal cancer?

#

Your symptoms require evaluation as this could be simply gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which can cause reflux and stucking of food.

Since your endoscopy and biopsy reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are concerned, they are all not suggestive of esophageal carcinoma.

In my opinion, you should go ahead for barium swallow study. It is a simple test and would evaluate any evidence of strictures or constriction, if any over the esophagus.

However, a biopsy revealing esophagitis with no evidence of malignancy clears you from the presence of any cancer at present.

In acid reflux disease a combination of Omeprazole and Domperidone helps greatly.

You should take soft, bland diet as spicy food aggravates acidity. In case of acute pain, you can take antiflatulent syrup like Digene or Gelusil.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thank you very much for the reply. Even though I have had biopsies and examinations in both colon and esophagus, there is still a risk that cancer in the stomach could be there. Am I correct? Or is this just extremely unlikely given my profile? Thanks.

#

• What happens tomorrow cannot be determined today. A person who never had any symptoms the whole life could get cancer.
  • When your reports are negative then you need not have to worry.
  • Tell me do you have any weight loss? Do you consume excess alcohol or any pain killers for any purpose?

Revert back with the answer for more information to medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|