Q. Can I take Omeprazole for mild gastritis-like symptoms?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 21, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now. I have an occasional mild tummy ache and nausea which is relieved by belching. I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why. I tested positive for the h. pylori bacterium two years ago. I have consulted medical specialists in this past week, who have asked me about pain, but I have felt no pain when tested, nor vomiting, or blood in feces, etc. So, it is gastritis, although again, I am not sure what it stems from. There are possibilities though. Firstly, there is the presence of h. pylori. Secondly, a week ago, I accidentally brushed a bottle I was drinking from against my fridge, before drinking from it. I was worried about it because my fridge has not been cleaned in years. So, I may have picked up a bug. Thirdly, about 25 years ago, I had a very severe alcohol problem, although I have not drunk alcohol since then apart from very occasionally.

That said, alcohol can be a trigger for gastritis, although not this time, as I have not drunk anything alcoholic for nearly two years. I have Omeprazole tablets 20 mg. I have been told it is advisable to take these for gastritis. Is Omeprazole generally well tolerated? Are there any side effects? Does it clear up symptoms rapidly? Is 20 mg a suitable dose for gastritis? Alternatively, I can take a week long course of Omeprazole, Amoxicillin, and Clarithromycin (triple therapy). I have these medicines at home. Are there side effects to this therapy? If so, what are they? Is it safe to take this? So, this is my situation. What do you advise? Should I try out the Omeprazole or the triple therapy? I look forward to hearing from you.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) associated with gastritis. Yes, you can take Omeprazole 20 mg. Once a day would be enough. There are no major side effects. There is no indication for taking triple therapy for h.pylori again. I advise the following for treatment of IBS.

1. A proton pump inhibitor like Pantoprazole, Rabeprazole, or Omeprazole which will help in neutralizing the acid in your stomach.
  2. You should avoid fat and spices in your food and preferably take a soft and bland diet.
  3. You can take a smooth muscle relaxant like Mebeverine in the case of a stomach pain.
  4. In refractory (stubborn) cases, drugs like Chlordiazepoxide and Clidinium bromide can be used, if there is no improvement.

These are the best options for you based on the details you have provided. If you have any further queries, feel free to ask me.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for your reply. Alright, I will take Omeprazole. Good, I feel safe taking it. I have enough for a week. Does it have any major side effects? I have not taken triple therapy yet. But, I have the available medication. Do you advise triple therapy for h. pylori? Or shall I simply try the Omeprazole for a time? Is gastritis serious? As I said, I have not vomited, and there is no sign of blood. I felt no pain when a nurse tested my stomach area.

#

Persons with chronic gastritis have been known to take Omeprazole life-long without any major complications. So, I suggest you continue taking it for two weeks. I would not recommend you take triple-drug therapy as it can worsen gastritis, due to antibiotics being one of the components. Take Omeprazole and Digene (Aluminium Hydroxide) for two weeks. If you have no relief, then write back to me. Please feel comfortable to ask me further queries, if you have any.

|