Q. Does Omeprazole 20 mg have side effects?

Dr. Prathap
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 09, 2019

Hello doctor,

I have been suffering from symptoms of gastritis now for over a week. However, I took a capsule of Omeprazole 20 mg, and there seems to be a considerable relief, and I feel a lot better. Is it possible that one capsule can do this? Also, I have read online that Omeprazole can be associated with serious conditions such as pneumonia and heart disease. Is this true?

#

• The worries like pneumonia or so are very very less. It is usually a safe drug.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

So, are you saying it is very unlikely that I will get pneumonia? Also, my symptoms have gone away very quickly. Is this possible?

#

• It is very unlikely to get complications with Omeprazole. These complications are seen with long term use.
  • Rapid relief of symptoms is possible with Omeprazole.
  • You will need to continue it for at least five days for a sustained benefit.

|