Q. Does spotting during ovulation indicates early sign of pregnancy?

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 22, 2020

In the ovulation phase, I am getting light spotting for the last 4 days. I am looking to conceive but I have PCOS. Is spotting be a sign of pregnancy? Our doctor suggested Meftal-Spas for relieving pain and bleeding. I have seen that during pregnancy this medicine should not be used.

I am in the confusion state, as I never had bleeding like this and what is happening. Please suggest.

#

When is your last menstrual period (LMP)? What is the ultrasound abdomen report? Are you on any oral contraceptive medication? Above you told just spotting and again you told bleeding which is the correct one? How many days cycle is yours? What about thyroid profile, hemoglobin status, and blood sugar reports?

Yes, during ovulating you may get spotting and better not to take Meftal-Spas (Mefenamic acid and Diclofenac) if you are planning to conceive. You may use tablet Buscopan or Cyclopam (Dicyclomine Hydrochloride and Paracetamol) to reduce pain.

My last period was on June 7th. Last month I used my pills to regulate my period as for the last four months I had irregular periods. This month I did not use any medications and just used Folic acid tablets. I was spotting from my 14th day cycle and it is not bleeding. On the 16th day, I have done my urine pregnancy test but it was negative.

My thyroid profile -2.68.

HbA1c -5.5.

Insulin -26.92.

Testosterone - 0.28.

Prolactin - 9.03.

Hemoglobin - 13.4.

Urine analysis was normal.

I am attaching my pelvic scan report. Is it normal spotting or any other health issue? If it is normal shall I wait until my next period to take pregnancy test? What could I do to stop spotting and pain?

#

I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Spotting due to implantation may occur 10-12 days after conception means day 25 above of cycle. But you got early then it may be not implantation spotting. May be due to ovulation or hormonal withdrawal spotting.

So please get done your pregnancy test on 25th day of the cycle. For pain, use ginger tea and lukewarm water for drinking. Use Buscopan tablet for pain. Yoga and hot water bath may give some relief. If spotting continued then please consult with your gynecologist she will do colposcopy and treat you accordingly.

|