Q. Can I take Betnesol during 36 weeks of pregnancy with BP, thyroid and diabetes?

Published on Nov 29, -0001 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2019

I am 36 weeks pregnant with LMP. My doctor is prescribing me Betnesol. I have thyroid, BP and GD. They are under control. Sugar levels are also under control. I am little worried about Betnesol. My previous baby was a C-section. I had planned normal delivery (for my first) but had to do C-section since the placenta detached. When I had narrated this to my current gynecologist, she suggested Betnesol. I am little worried about this medicine. Please suggest me if it is fine to go for Betnesol.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

In cases of gestational diabetes mellitus with gestational hypertension at 36 weeks of gestation, there are chances that there occurs delayed maturation of fetal lungs which can prevent the baby from baby breathing after birth due to immature lungs. So considering your history and placental separation or abruption, Betnesol or betamethasone injections have been prescribed for intramuscular use as a prophylactic measure to promote fetal lung maturity with these antenatal corticosteroids.

Ideally, the fetal lungs mature by 34 weeks in a normal pregnancy but in GDM with superimposed gestational hypertension and in IUGR cases, it has been delayed to 37 weeks to 38 weeks, so as a precautionary measure Betnesolinjections are being given for the fetal well-being in case, your condition deteriorates any time hence. These are completely safe in pregnancy.

My pregnancy test is positive. Can I take Gestafine and Folvite?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 years old. I did not get my period for the past five weeks and yesterday I checked for my pregnancy and it turned out to be positive. I called my gynecologist and she suggested me to take Gestafine 200 one at night. And Folvite one in the afternoon. And also, she suggested tak...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aishwarya Parthasarathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. In an uncomplicated pregnancy, except tablet Folvite (Vitamin B9), nothing else is required in early pregnancy. The rest can be taken, and safe in pregnancy, but I would not say they are necessary. Secondly, continue tablet Folvite until three months. Then do a datin...  Read Full

To avoid diabetes during pregnancy, what diet should have to follow?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 26 weeks pregnant. This weekend I had my glucose tolerance test (3 hours) and on which I failed badly. My fasting numbers were 172, 325 and 318. I know they are bad, but my doctor never told me to follow a strict diet of three to five days prior to the test. In my pregnancy, I ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from gestational diabetes mellitus without any doubt. As per IADPSG criteria (International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group) and DIPSI criteria (The Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Group India) both makes you overt diabetic. T...  Read Full

Diagnosed with gestation diabetes. Was the test done right?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 9 weeks 3 days pregnant. My doctor has diagnosed me with gestational diabetes. At my 1 hour test, my levels were at 170, which was high, but they told me it was low. I was scheduled for 3 hours test and was told to eat sugar treats and sugar drinks three days before my test and then ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Let me make a few corrections in the methods done. I have not heard of the methods done. Gestational diabetes is caused by the hormones of the pregnancy, which appears in pregnancy only after 26 to 28 weeks, the time when pregnancy hormones are at the highest level. So...  Read Full