Q. Can I take Betnesol during 36 weeks of pregnancy with BP, thyroid and diabetes?

I am 36 weeks pregnant with LMP. My doctor is prescribing me Betnesol. I have thyroid, BP and GD. They are under control. Sugar levels are also under control. I am little worried about Betnesol. My previous baby was a C-section. I had planned normal delivery (for my first) but had to do C-section since the placenta detached. When I had narrated this to my current gynecologist, she suggested Betnesol. I am little worried about this medicine. Please suggest me if it is fine to go for Betnesol.

#

In cases of gestational diabetes mellitus with gestational hypertension at 36 weeks of gestation, there are chances that there occurs delayed maturation of fetal lungs which can prevent the baby from baby breathing after birth due to immature lungs. So considering your history and placental separation or abruption, Betnesol or betamethasone injections have been prescribed for intramuscular use as a prophylactic measure to promote fetal lung maturity with these antenatal corticosteroids.

Ideally, the fetal lungs mature by 34 weeks in a normal pregnancy but in GDM with superimposed gestational hypertension and in IUGR cases, it has been delayed to 37 weeks to 38 weeks, so as a precautionary measure Betnesolinjections are being given for the fetal well-being in case, your condition deteriorates any time hence. These are completely safe in pregnancy.

|