Q. My fasting sugar is 260, 45 days after delivery. Is it gestational diabetes or a permanent one?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Hi, I am 29 years old. I delivered my first baby last month. During pregnancy I had a gestational diabetics and I was taking insulin over a period of 2 months. During the first trimester my sugar level was normal. And soon after delivery when checked again my sugar level was normal. But now after 45 days of delivery when I checked again sugar level is high. Around 260 in fasting. My father is having diabetes. Whether it is gestational diabetics or this diabetics will not go?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
# Hello, Thanks for the query.
I have seen the details given and do understand the concern. Madam, Gestational Diabetes Mellitus(GDM) is now a days a commonly seen condition. Invariably post delivery the condition returns to normal in many patients. However, it is clear sign or indication that in immediate future that lady is likely develop diabetes. Once if that happens then it is like any other diabetes patient, which means it will be there with that person for lifetime. In your case if you are not desiring to have one more baby then there no other worry except getting it properly treated and adapting a modified lifestyle along with regular treatment. Hence, to initiat the treatment I need to know following details : Current fasting, PP glucose levels, HbA1c%, lipid profile, dietary pattern, extent of daily exercise and BP readings. If you are looking for online help please come back with above necessary information, then I will be able to give specific advice and guidelines along with the prescription that is necessary. Ideally your FBG should be < 100 mg or closer to 100 mg, PP 150 to 170 mg & HbA1c% < 5.5%.
You may also decide to consult your local physician for the same. But treatment is a must with deitary restriction and regular exercise. Thanks.

|