Q. My fasting sugar is 260, 45 days after delivery. Is it gestational diabetes or a permanent one?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 22, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 05, 2021

I am 29 years old. I delivered my first baby last month. During pregnancy, I had gestational diabetes and I was taking insulin for two months. During the first trimester, my sugar level was normal. After delivery, when I checked it again, my sugar levels was normal. But now after forty-five days of delivery, my sugar level is high around 260 mg/dL in fasting. My father is a diabetic. I want to know whether it is gestational diabetes or diabetes. Does it go away?

#

I have gone through the details given and I understand the concern. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (GDM) is a commonly seen condition nowadays. Invariably post-delivery, the condition return backs to normal in many patients. It is a clear sign or indication that in immediate future the lady is prone to develop diabetes. Once it happens, it will be there in that person for their lifetime. In your case, if you are not desiring to have one more baby, then there is no need to worry except getting it properly treated and adapt a modified lifestyle along with it.

To initiate the treatment, I need the following details. Please mention your current fasting glucose level, PP (postprandial) glucose levels, HbA1c (hemoglobin A1c) percentage, lipid profile, dietary pattern, the extent of daily exercise, and BP (blood pressure) reading. Please revert me with these reports and then I will help you to provide specific guidelines to treat the condition. Ideally, your FBG (fasting blood glucose) should be less than 100 mg and PP should be between 150 mg/dL to 170 mg/dL and HbA1c percentage should be less than 5.5 percent. You can decide to consult your local physician as well. But the treatment is a must with dietary restriction and regular exercise.

|