Q. I am pregnant and my HbA1c is 8. 9. Will it cause any harm to the baby?

Published on Mar 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 23 year old female. I am 45 days pregnant, and my HbA1c is 8.9. Will it cause any problem to the baby? I am taking medicine, and my sugar is under control now.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Yes, HbA1c is high. It indicates sugar levels in the last three months.
  • Diabetes during pregnancy will cause a small risk of congenital malformations, but it could be detected on the fetal scan at 16 to 18 weeks of gestation.
  • Since it is detected early, now make sure your sugars are controlled to prevent the further risk to your baby.
  • Do not worry now and get one scan at 16 to 18 weeks to rule out any problem. Kindly follow with your endocrinologist.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can I travel by air during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor,I had ectopic pregnancy last year and now am 11 weeks pregnant (normal). Can I travel through flight for more than 20 hours? I have thyroid. Right now my thyroid level is bit higher. I am on medication for thyroid.  Read Full »

Is it safe to travel with placenta previa?

Query: Hi doctor, Last week, on my second scan (20 week pregnancy), I was diagnosed with the low-lying placenta. I did not have any bleeding or pain so far. I am going for my holiday in five days, and I am wondering if I can fly. Is it safe?  Read Full »

Will my blood sugar levels reduce if I exercise and reduce weight?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my blood sugar level tested after nine hours of fasting, and it was 138 g/dL. Am I diabetic? Nine hours back, I had a cold drink and burger, and I am overweight. Will my blood sugar level reduce if I exercise and reduce weight?  Read Full »