Q. I am worried about the blood sugar level present at 29 weeks of pregnancy. How to control it?

Dr. Lorena Zijaj

I am 29 weeks pregnant and have been checking blood glucose levels on a daily basis ( fasting and 2 hours after each meal) since last 5 days. Here are my last 5 days readings starting with fasting glucose and after 2 hours of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

first day 98,85,116,130 respectively

second day 100,108,129,121

third day 98, 104,119,125

fourth day 96,80,149,131

fifth day 92,96,127, 130

I have been following a diet plan and carb counting for 175-180 carbs per day. I have added exercise (10 mins walking) after each meal. Please advise if my gestational diabetes is under control with diet or something needs changed.

#

Hello

Welcome to icliniq.com

Congrats for your pregnancy. You should mantain the fasting glucose level less than 90- 100mg/dl. I pregnancy to diagnose with Diabetes you should have fasting glucose higher than 126. You should perform a glucose 75 gr or 50 gr tolerance test. And a Hb1C level to evalute if you are diabetic or not. I think ,you should have a healthy diet .Should not eat sweets as cake ,ice-cream,only the suger that are in fruits. 0nly 40%of total calories should been taken by carbohydrates.

Thanks for the reply. Please confirm whether this results will be controlled with diet and exercise walking

#

Are you diagnose with diabetes?

Yes gestational diabetic Please see the four readings taken for 5 days after fasting breakfast lunch and dinner

#

Ok,you are near at the normal level of glucose that are indicated in pregnancy. O think you can ,you are almost the normal level.It is very importan to continie to self monitor the glc level. I saw them ,only a few measurement are a little bit above the target level. I think you are at a good line .

Yes I will continue for the rest of my pregnancy.. if I can maintain such levels with diet and exercise, will insulin be required?

#

No ,it will not.

Do you recommend any home remedies in diet to keep these levels under control And low carb foods for non vegetarian diet

#

Yoi have to cut ,all kind of sweets ,and artificial drinks, Less carbohydrates like pasta ,rise ,pizza ,patatoes. It better to consume chick than other kind of meat. Have a diet with vegetables and low sugar fruit

Can we take Fenugreek water and what should be quantity?

#

I have no informantion for the fenugreek water. It isn't recommend by medical books.It may be part at alternative medicine .I can't help you .

Ok Thanks

#

Wish a healthy pregnancy! Regards

Thanks for your wishes and guidance. Last question is there in restrictions on walking time. Is there any restrictions for walking time?

#

No,there is any restriction,you can walk till 20 mins. Regards

Today my Doctor has advised to take metformin 500 mg. Please give your opinion. Thanks Also suggest any restrictions on tea coffee dry fruit and honey

#

In your case ,i wouldn't recommed any medication. Anyway i would recommend you a consult with a endocrinologist that is a specialist for diabetes,and the latter have to decide to start or not any medication. In gestation insulin is preferable for treatmemt of Diabetes. Regards

Hi I am 60 years old , recently feeling body pain specially legs and around shoulders. Can I take combiflam or any other medication please advise
# Hello
I consulted ,with a pregnant women .
And for consulting,you have to write by your own .
Regards

|