Q. My GFR was 90 two years ago, but now it is 89, and the dipstick test shows protein in the urine. Why?

Dr. Bn Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

Last week's blood test showed a GFR of 89 and one that was taken two years ago showed 90. Dipstick showed protein in the urine, lastweek.

Does this mean my kidneys are not working as well as they should? If so, is there anything I should or should not do? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Normal range of GFR (Glomerular filtration rate) is 90-120 mL/min/1.73 m2. Your value is 89, which is just below the lower limit, and it has to be rechecked in few weeks. Also, there is normal excretion of less than 150 mg/d of total protein and less than 30 mg/d of albumin in a normal healthy individual. Urine dipstick test detects the only albumin and gives false-positive results at pH more than seven or when urine is very concentrated. So if a urine dipstick test detects a protein in the urine, then the approach should be to quantify by 24 hours urinary excretion of protein and albumin or first-morning spot albumin to creatinine ratio to find the cause according to the value which comes after testing. Doing the above test would lead to actual diagnosis and hence further treatment if needed. I hope this was helpful.

When is the best time of day to check protein in urine? Does it make a difference? Kindly give your opinion.

#

The best sample would be an early morning urine specimen. But it can be collected at any time of day and should be a midstream urine sample collection.

I hope this was helpful.

|