Q. Should we treat high creatinine and low GFR as medical emergency?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2022

My father has a creatinine level of 286 umol/l and a GFR of 19. Should this be treated as a medical emergency? His symptoms are tiredness, loss of appetite, shaky inside (similar to the feeling of anxiety). He has a history of cancer and radiotherapy. GFR has continued to decline from past five months.

#

Yes, this should be treated as a medical emergency and he should be given admission as per my belief. How are his urine output and blood pressure? Any hiccups or vomitings?

His BP is currently normal and the urine output is normal too. However, he does have a water infection but no hiccups or vomiting.

#

All right. In that case, you may go to your nephrologist and discuss about renal replacement therapy as he may require it soon. Emergency admission and dialysis would be required in case a person develops reduce urine output, vomitings, hiccups, altered behavior, seizure and respiratory difficulty.

|