Q. Bilirubin is high but other liver functions are normal. Should I worry?

Dr. Smrita Singh

I did blood tests and attached are the reports. Are they alright or do I need to investigate further?

#

I have gone through your test results (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and the only abnormality is high direct bilirubin. Higher than normal levels of direct bilirubin in your blood may indicate your liver is not clearing bilirubin properly.

The most common causes are cirrhosis, gallbladder disease, Gilbert's syndrome, bile duct cancer or stenosis due to other causes, hepatitis, liver cancer, sickle cell disease and following chemotherapy.

You will need further tests including imaging tests to evaluate your bile duct and the liver to come to a diagnosis.

For more information consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

Thank you for the answer. I was told by the doctor here that because my other liver functions are normal, it is nothing to be worried about. It could be Gilbert's syndrome. Is that correct?

#

Yes, that is a possibility since your indirect bilirubin is much higher than the direct bilirubin levels and your other liver function tests.

Your complete blood count and reticulocyte count are absolutely normal and you do not have any other disease process. The normal hematology results rule out the possibility of sickle cell disease or other hemolytic anemia which can cause high indirect bilirubin levels.

For further queries consult a pathologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pathologist

|