Q. How can I get rid of heartburn and a bloated stomach?

Answered by Dr. Babu Lal Meena and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Heartburn or Cholesterol? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Hello doctor,

I am a 32 year old suffering from anxiety disorder, and I took some related medicines for a few years and still take Mirtazapine. I have weight issues from a couple of years. I do blood examinations regularly, which come back normal. Lately, I am having problems with heartburn. I had a helicobacter infection last year, followed by Streptococcus infection last month. Both have been treated with antibiotics. During my last blood examination, the cholesterol level was 5.7. A gastroenterologist said that I am probably prone to Gilbert's syndrome, due to bilirubin levels coming up on the blood test. I like drinking, but I used to drink during my late 20's much more, than I do now. I am a moderate drinker. I have an appetite of a lion, but I tend to limit my food intake at a minimum, to keep my weight under control. Which I am not being able to do. I do not do any physical activity, so that does not go in my favor. Whatever food I have, I can smell the odor when I burp even after several hours. If I go slightly generous with food for three days in a row, my stomach bloats. I took Espumisan and Pantoprazole tablets about a month ago, for two weeks, and I went on a diet. It was better. Now that I am back to my daily routine, these problems are back again. I am also constipated since a child. I would like to get your opinion. Are these symptoms related? Is this coming from the depression? How can I soothe heartburn and bloating? How to lose weight? Your replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.