Q. How can red spots on the head of my penis be treated?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2020

The head of my penis is itchy and there are few red spots in certain areas on the head. This has been happening for the past week or so. I have stopped applying soap to the area and I wash it with lukewarm water twice a day and apply Candid-B thereafter. The itchiness went away after three to four days but as I stopped doing that, the itching has been back.

Initially, I had some pain while retracting my foreskin and my foreskin was kind of swollen but there was no pain and swelling. At times, I find a white substance around the foreskin when I try to retract it. Should I continue applying Candid-B for few more days? And what other precautions should I take so that it does not happen in the future?

#

With your description, I feel you are suffering from a fungal infection of your genitalia.

Kindly stop Candid-B cream (Beclometasone Topical and Clotrimazole Topical). It has steroids in it. This gives you temporary relief from itching but promotes fungal growth.

However, I cannot precisely diagnose your condition without having seen your clinical picture. I would suggest you attach a clinical picture along with your query.

I would suggest you use

• Seriva (Sertaconazole Topical) cream to the affected area. Apply a thin layer afterbath in the morning and at night before sleeping.
  • Abzorb (Clotrimazole, Talc, and starch) dusting powder. Apply on top of the cream to the thigh folds.
  • KZ (Ketoconazole) soap - use only in the genital area while taking bath. Use your routine soap for rest of the body.
  • Tablet Teczine (Levocetirizine) 5 mg at night after food for 10 days for itching. Never scratch the area, use dry underwear all the time. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicine.
  • Keep the area dry as far as possible.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have attached few photos so you would be able to asses the situation better.

#

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You have candidal balanoposthitis, meaning fungal infection of the tip of the glans penis and foreskin of your penis.

Here is the treatment suggested.

• Capsule Candiforce (Itraconazole) 200 mg, take one tablet in the morning after breakfast and one tablet at night after dinner. Drink lots of water. You need to buy only two tablets and it is only one-day treatment.
  • Seriva cream (Sertaconazole) apply this cream to the affected part, a thin layer afterbath. Use clean dry towel each time to wipe the water over your genitalia. Then apply the Seriva cream two times a day, morning and night. Continue using this cream for two months even if you feel that you do not have to itch anymore because fungus needs a full course of treatment, otherwise you will have a recurrence.
  • Tablet Teczine (Levocetirizine) 5 mg. Take one tablet at night after dinner for 15 days. This is for itching. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the above medicines.
  • KZ soap (Ketoconazole). Use this soap to clean your genitals while taking bath. Retract the foreskin completely every time you clean it.
  • Abzorb dusting powder (Clotrimazole) apply to the groin area to keep it dry in the morning and night. This is for the groin (thigh folds) and not on your penis.

There are few other things I would like to mention here,

• Avoid sexual contact for at least three weeks. Always use condoms.
  • Ask your partner if she has a white discharge or itching in her genitalia. Because this is highly contagious, spreads sexually.
  • Stop Candid-B (Beclometasone Topical and Clotrimazole Topical) Cream.
  • Always wear cotton innerwear, change it daily, wash it with good detergent, make sure it is double rinsed so that there is no residual detergent. This can also cause irritation.
  • Never scratch or rub your genitals. Take tablet Teczine (Levocetirizine) if you feel itchy.
  • Check your blood sugar levels as a routine. High blood sugar level is one of the risk factors for fungal infections.
  • You need to check your fasting blood sugar and postprandial blood sugar.

Skincare during fungal infection is very important. If you fail to follow, these medicines may not help to cure the infection completely.

One more thing I want to mention here, in one of the pictures you have sent, I can see little violet discoloration, so I m keeping lichen planus-genital as the differential diagnosis. But it is very unlikely because you have had this problem only for a week.

With dermoscopy examination, it can be precisely ruled out. But clinically it is a fungal infection. It is very very unlikely that it is lichen planus.

You will be fine in three weeks, but continue the Seriva cream for two months.

I want to check if I need to upload the reports of the blood test.

#

If the results are abnormal that is if they are high, then you need to meet physician. Otherwise, nothing to worry.

I am ruling out all possible risk factors here. You need not upload reports.

You are required to consult physician/endocrinologist only if the sugar levels are high.

Follow the treatment I have mentioned in the previous reply.

|