Glans Discoloration

Glans or glans penis is the tip of or the head of the penis. It is usually pinkish in color and turns red or purple during erection because of the excess blood flow. The other causes of discoloration are an injury, penile melanosis (hyperpigmentation), contact dermatitis, lichen sclerosus, vitiligo, syphilis, and penile cancer.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

I have small patches of asymptomatic white skin on my glans. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I have got small patches of asymptomatic white skin on my glans. I had them for years but was told it was just skin pigmentation. So I’m just wondering, are there any creams or ointments that I could use to restore some natural color or even get rid of this white, pale skin pigmentat...  Read Full »

Dr. G.s.s. Sandeep

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Is it possible to forward a few clear pictures of glans? I can guess a few differential diagnoses here. 1. Candidiasis: It is a normal fungal infection. Start using Ketoconazole cream once daily after bath for 15 days. 2. Post-inflammatory hypopigmentation: Due to ...  Read Full »

What could be the possible complications after circumcision?

Query: Hello doctor,I had a circumcision a few months ago for phimosis. After some time, the glans of my penis have patches that are red and raised without pain or discomfort. I thought it to be a part of the healing process and did not bother it. But it remains for so long. I am with the same partner for ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting us. I have seen the picture you sent (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). This condition is called vitiligo, skin discoloration due to loss of pigmentation and not an infection or inflammation. It can present to other areas o...  Read Full »

How can red spots on the head of my penis be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, The head of my penis is itchy and there are few red spots in certain areas on the head. This has been happening for the past week or so. I have stopped applying soap to the area and I wash it with lukewarm water twice a day and apply Candid-B thereafter. The itchiness went away after ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to With your description, I feel you are suffering from a fungal infection of your genitalia. Kindly stop Candid-B cream (Beclometasone Topical and Clotrimazole Topical). It has steroids in it. This gives you temporary relief from itching but promotes fungal growth. H...  Read Full »

What can cause discoloration of glans penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have discoloration and swelling on the glans penis for almost a year now. I have tried different creams prescribed by a dermatologist nothing has helped. Also, my primary did a urine culture and it was normal. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I saw the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This patch is normal there are no issues with it. It is melanin pigmentation and it is completely no issues and will not cause issues in the future. I am assuring you for that.   Read Full »

Is depigmentation of penis with dark spots a concerning issue?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a depigmentation on my penis and scrotum for years (I think since I was born). I did not pay match attention to it. Also in the past few months, I have noticed two spots on the glans of the penis and that is what worries me the most. I do not know if those spots were there befo...  Read Full »

Dr. Atishay Bukharia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Please send a few more good quality photographs taken in natural light (attachment removed to protect patient identity). How long it has been there? What are the symptoms? Any other area affected? Any other family members affected? Any history of hypertension? Diabe...  Read Full »

Will regular masturbation cause discoloration of penile head?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 21 years old. I have been worried because my penis head has turned blackish and I have horizontal wrinkles on it. I masturbate once a day for the past three years and often forget to clean the sperm after masturbating. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your query and understand your concerns. I have gone through the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is true that there is some black discoloration at the glans penis (penis head) but it does not look like symptom of any i...  Read Full »

My testicle is turning contrast to my normal skin color. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Please evaluate the darkness of the testicles. They are getting darker and I am a caucasian, so it is not my skin color. I provided one picture that is more of a wide shot where you can see the contrast of my lighter skin on my stomach. I have attached four different pictures. Please ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shweta Dhawan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), the differentiation is quite clear. You need to work up for your treatment as with age it can progress, few autoimmune conditions needs to be identified as it can also affect your immune syste...  Read Full »

What causes wrinkles on glans?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I have abnormal appearing glans of the penis. The glans started to change several years ago becoming very wrinkled and have a redder appearance than before. The meatus started to change at about the same time. I have not had any sores on the head, but had fric...  Read Full »

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As far as all your investigations regarding sexually transmitted diseases are normal and you are not having any other symptoms (except wrinkling), you need not worry about the appearance...  Read Full »

How to treat glans discoloration?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a circular or oval area of discolored skin on the shaft of my penis, near the base. It started as a small circular area that looked very much like ringworm and now, it is much larger. The area of skin is paler than the rest of my penis and it seems to have some red scaling around th...  Read Full »

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Is it associated with itching at present? Kindly attach the photos. Please do not use cream containing Clotrimazole and Beclomethasone Dipropionate combination. It is steroid cream and the side effect of using it in the groin area can lead to thinning of the skin and whi...  Read Full »

After Laser Treatment of Penile Papules, My Penis Has Become Dark

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I had pearly papules on my glans penis a long time ago. I got them removed three months ago by a dermatologist with CO2 laser. Now, bottom of the glans penis is very dark purple in color. I have tried to put some gels on it, but had no success with that. I will attach ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through the attached picture and provided details (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I feel the discoloration at glans is completely normal and there is no problem with it either in the near future or distant future other than a cosmetic concern...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.