Q. My glans appears wrinkled and red. What could the issue be?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2019

I am a 29 year old male. I have abnormal appearing glans of the penis. The glans started to change several years ago becoming very wrinkled and have a redder appearance than before. The meatus started to change at about the same time. I have not had any sores on the head, but had friction bumps that would come and go after sex. I have previously had multiple partners, but have been with the same partner for four and a half years. I have previously had a full panel STD test and everything came back negative. I am seeking a dermatologist's opinion as to what the issue could be and the possible treatments for it.

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

As far as all your investigations regarding sexually transmitted diseases are normal and you are not having any other symptoms (except wrinkling), you need not worry about the appearance.

Try to apply proper lubricant like petroleum jelly or vaseline two to three times a day and avoid rubbing or friction. Sometimes, it is a normal variant.

Having pimples are folliculitis which appears in these areas and they eventually heal.

So your main treatment is reassurance and have to follow-up after six months in order to see any other pathological change.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

| 

I have read your response. Thank you for the follow-up. I am curious if this could resemble any signs of HPV. I was not tested for that, but was tested for the standard STDs, and herpes, HIV, and hepatitis C.

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

Absolutely not. HPV lesions are never like this. The reason you were not investigated for HPV (human papillomavirus) is that, most commonly it is diagnosed clinically from its general appearance and if lesions are not clear only then, it is investigated. So, just relax from HPV.

But remember to seek medical adivce when sex partner is changed or after every six months.

|