Q. What does -22. 1% mean in left ventricular global longitudinal strain?

Dr. Isaac Gana
and medically reviewed by Dr. Infanteena Marily

I have been having feelings of short breath. My question is about the left ventricle global longitudinal strain calculation. What does -22.1% mean? Also, could trace mitral valve recursion TITAN, trace tricuspid regurgitation, or trace pulmonic regurgitation cause symptoms? My last question is, what does it mean if the estimated right ventricle systolic pressure is 14 mm?

#

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Please stay positive.

Global longitudinal strain measures the level of the heart's strain longitudinally, of which the values are normal. At the same time, trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation are normal findings in healthy people.

The left ventricle systolic pressure measures pressure in the left ventricle when blood pressure goes from the heart to the aorta and pulmonary trunk. The measurement is within normal limits.

You have no functional heart problem.

Please let me know the following:

Are you only experiencing shortness of breath?

Do you have any other symptoms?

What was the indication for the Echocardiography?

Best regards.

My other symptoms are swelling in my hands and feet, a fast heart, feeling dizzy, trouble breathing, and pressure on my chest.

Is the trace pulmonic regurgitation, tricuspid regurgitation and the trace mitral valve regurgitation normal? In the last echocardiogram I had a year ago, these were not there.

#

The echocardiogram result (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) you attached earlier was within normal limits but is not aligned with your current symptoms.

Your symptoms are typical of heart failure, but the echocardiography is normal. In this case, the best way forward is to do repeat echocardiography at a different center. In addition to a new echocardiography test, you need to do a chest X-ray, ECG (electrocardiogram), EUCR ( Electrolytes, urea, creatinine), and lipid profile. Please do the investigation as fast as possible.

Have you noticed if the swelling is more in the morning and is reduced when you sit down? Before this, is there any history of an insect sting?

Do you wake up at night with sudden shortness of breath?

Thank you doctor for the reply,

When should I do the next echocardiography and the other tests you suggested, like chest X-ray, CT, EUCR, and lipid profile? If those come back normal, does that mean everything is fine? Does that confirm there is no heart failure? The swelling happens with movement but mostly in heat. For example, my hands will swell, and if I hold my arms up in the air, the swelling will go down. Same with feet. If I lift them, the swelling will go away. In the night, I will wake up but not often.

#

If these tests come out negative, then I can say you do not have heart failure. It would help if you did the tests as soon as you can. The test will also check your kidney function. The tests will give a clearer picture.

|