Q. Due to globus pharyngeus, I get pain in throat and ear while swallowing. Please help.

Dr. Pruthvi Raju Uppalapati

I had globus pharyngeus for about 10 days and today it has evolved to a pain in the back of my throat which when I swallow causes pain in my left ear for a second too.

#

I understand your condition. Do not worry. It is a quite common scenario. Very manageable. Firstly, it is caused by one or few of the conditions like severe gastric reflux, infection in the throat, postnasal drip due to conditions like a sustained common cold, smoking, and rarely a foreign body in the throat. So you should analyze what is causing this condition in you.

I would suggest you to first start yourself on the following medication and make some lifestyle changes.

Tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily after food for five days, Ibuprofen twice daily after food for five days, Pantaprazole 40 mg once daily before breakfast for 10 days, Povidone gargle 10bml in 150 ml lukewarm water to be gargled thrice daily. If there is a persistent cold take Xylometazoline nasal drops thrice daily.

Along with the medication take the following precautions:

1. Avoid cold food.

2. Stop smoking if you do.

3. Take food on time.

4. Do not take spicy food.

5. Do not eat for at least three hours before you sleep.

Infection or reflux.

Direct laryngoscopy.

GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disease).

Acute pharyngitis.

Medical.

After the medication.

|