Q. Creatinine level is 5. 7 with small kidneys. Is it possible to get normal kidney function?

My aunt's creatinine level is 5.7 and her kidney size of 8*3.4 cm (right and left). Currently she, is under treatment. Looking forward to know if it can be brought to normal kidney functioning? What time does it take to become normal? Her BP is 150/95 mmHg. She is under medication for TB.

#

To help you better I need further details. Since how long is she suffering from this? How are her blood pressure and blood sugar? How is her urine output? Where is she located?

Revert with the asked details for better help.

I have sent the reports. She is suffering from the last three years.

#

I have evaluated all the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

My questions were regarding the current status, current blood pressure, medications, urine output (which is a marker of severity of kidney disease). Let us come to the treatment part. First of all, we do not know that her creatinine was raised even before she was started on anti-tubercular drugs or it raised later. Rifampicin can cause these. Treatment would be strict control of her blood pressure that has to be around 120/80 mmHg. Maintaining her urine output, if required diuretics can be used. Modifying anti-tubercular drugs may help. Avoid pain killers, no fruits and juices.

In her treatment NefroSave (Acetyl cystine and Pyridoxamine dihydrochloride) twice daily can be added. If she had kidney dysfunction prior to the start of ATT (anti-tubercular drugs), it would be difficult to reverse it, but however, it can be controlled. If it happened as a side effect of ATT, it might get reversed.

|