Q. Is it safe to take Mobizox for foot pain?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Jul 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

My brother, who is 36 years old, has a lot of pain in the ball of right foot. It is like a sharp pain both on the foot as well as in the toes. He is overweight with 98 kg and he is of height 5 feet 7 inches. He is taking NAC 75 painkiller. But, the pain comes back once he stops eating the painkiller. What can be done for this pain? What could be the cause? Also, his uric acid is high at 10 or 11. Please suggest some measure. Thank you.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Gout is a condition with elevated uric acid levels. It commonly affects great toe rather than ball of foot.
  • Is your brother's great toe swollen along with the pain in the ball of the toe? How long he has been suffering from the pain?
  • Since when he is aware of his uric acid status? Is he on any medication to control uric acid?
  • What is his profession? Does he play contact sports? Do you have x-ray of the affected foot?
  • Kindly follow up with answers to these questions along with the image of the affected foot for evaluation.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I think his uric acid is high for three to four years. He has no swelling, but there is pain between the toes both sides on top as well as bottom. It is a sharp pain and on standing it becomes more. It happens six months back also. There was no injury or sport activity. It just started on its own. Can it be due to uric acid or any problem with nerve?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Yes, it is because of uric acid and not due to any nerve compression. This is a typical history of acute attack of gout.
  • He has to continue anti-inflammatory medication along with ice pack application intermittently to the affected area.
  • It takes two to three weeks for the acute phase to settle and after which the uric acid lowering drugs can be started.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

To get immediate pain relief, what medicine can he take?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Your brother can continue the analgesics such as Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day along with Omeprazole 20 mg once a day to provide relief from pain.
  • There is no medication which can provide immediate relief. It will take time of two to three weeks for the inflammation to settle and only then uric acid lowering drugs can be started.
  • If they are started before inflammation has settled, then it causes more pain in other joints too. So, avoid them at present.
  • Application of ice is also very effective in decreasing pain and inflammation. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start the treatment with consent.
  • Also avoid the following food items. Red meat and organ meats, shellfish such as shrimp and lobster, refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice, pasta and sugar), processed foods (chips, snack foods, frozen dinners), sugary beverages and alcohol.
  • You can include the following foods to your diet: Skim milk, low-fat dairy products such as yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, whole-grain products, plant oils (olive or canola or sunflower), vegetables, cherries and vitamin C supplements.
  • These dietary modifications are for long-term relief rather than immediate results.

Should he stop eating chicken? He eats chicken a lot. What vegetables should he avoid? And what about eggs? Please explain.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Chicken and meat can elevate uric acid levels and thus should be best avoided as much as possible. You can take them on an occasional basis.
  • Meat has to be avoided totally if there are frequent acute attacks and uric acid levels are not easily controlled with medication.
  • Even though certain vegetables are rich in purines, a component of protein, they do not elevate uric acid levels and a diet rich in vegetables and fruits should be taken.
  • Egg is definitely a good source of protein as a replacement for meat. You can take up to six eggs in a week, preferably boiled.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Can he take Mobizox? Is it safe to have? How many is allowed for a day?

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• Mobizox is a combination of three drugs Paracetamol, Diclofenac sodium and Chlorzoxazone. It is not indicated for your brother's condition.
  • He can take any one of the following drugs with his doctor consent, one tablet up to twice a day after a meal:
  1. Tablet Combiflam (combination of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen).
  2. Tablet Zerodol P (combination of Aceclofenac and Paracetamol).
  3. Tablet Zerodol SR (Aceclofenac).
  4. Tablet Voveran (Diclofenac).
  5. Tablet Flexon (combination of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol).
  6. Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg.
  • Although Mobizox will reduce pain and is safe to take because of two drugs present in the combination, but it is not indicated for gout.
  • The above mentioned dosage is in the view that you had mild, transient liver dysfunction and if there is any renal or hepatic (liver) abnormality, the dosage of these drugs may vary depending upon the renal or hepatic parameters.

Why am I having nosebleeds and dryness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a female, 22 years old, 110 pounds (50 kg), and height 160 cm. I rarely have nosebleeds, but I had one two days back and again this morning. It woke me up before work. The last lasted for 10 minutes (it seemed like a normal nosebleed). The one this morning lasted around 45 minute...  Read Full »

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full »

My daughter got hit on her head with a wooden swing. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter got hit in the head with a wooden swing by my other child. It hit above the eye between eyebrow and temple. She is acting fine. It is very swollen and bruised, like a very large goose egg. Do you think that calls for a trip to the doctor or just more ice packs? It has been abo...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now