Q. I have a fleshy growth over the stitches of appendicectomy. What is it?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
Published on Aug 01, 2016

Four years ago, I had an appendicitis surgery. There is a flesh like growth where the stitches are placed. What should I do now? How to get it removed?

Dr. Eriol Braholli

General Medicine General Surgery Internal Medicine
#

• The fleshy lumps you are feeling in the incision area are granulomas due to the body reaction against the material of the stitches.
  • Sometimes, they go away using anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics. So, I would suggest Clarithromycin and Ibuprofen twice daily for 10 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • If this therapy fails, then surgery is the only solution. The granuloma can be removed under local anesthesia. Also, you can go home the same day.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full »

What can be the diagnosis if granulomas are found on pancreas and lungs?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband is 31 years old and has severe anxiety. He was told that granulomas were found on his pancreas and possibly his lungs. They believe it is due to some sort of an autoimmune disorder. Is there anything that can be done to prolong his life? Should we be worried?  Read Full »

My biopsy report showed granulomatous mastitis. Was the biopsy specimen autolyzed?

Query: Hi doctor, A wide excision was done last year, and the report showed granulomatous mastitis. How can autolyzed tissue alter the report of biopsy? What do you mean by autolysis? What if the specimen is autolyzed? What would you do?  Read Full »