Clarithromycin

How to clean tonsils with Waterpik?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having an issue with one of my tonsils (or around one of my tonsils). I have dealt with tonsil stones for years, and have typically used my finger or Waterpik to remove them. Last Saturday, I discovered some tonsil stones and used my finger to remove them. Upon not getting everything...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and read every detail you wrote. I must commend you for the detailed and chronological description of your problem. Like you predicted, it does not appear like stones. It is infected tons...  Read Full »

Why do I have a bloody spot near the back of my throat?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having some issues with my throat from the past couple of months. I feel a tightness in the neck. I do not have a runny nose, but I have post-nasal drip and lots of phlegm or mucus in the mornings. I feel like I need to clear my throat a lot. The symptoms seemed to go away fo...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetologist, Family Physician, ENT Otolaryngologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can see inflamed and enlarged tonsils with a congested posterior pharyngeal wall (back of the throat). A post-nasal drip running for a couple of months suggests some sinonasal inflammation as...  Read Full »

Please suggest treatment for granulomatous mastitis.

Query: Hi doctor, I had an excisional biopsy of a lump just below my left breast last week. My biopsy report states that I have granulomatous mastitis. My surgeon has put me on an antibiotic called Claribid for three weeks. Please advice on the course of treatment.  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I concur with your surgeon's advice in principle. Though to be accurate and specific, I would like to go over your biopsy report, medical records, and surgeon's notes. So kindly follow-up with more information or continue treatment as advised by your doctor. Revert with m...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for sinusitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 69 year old male and retired internist. Other than vitamins and prostate-related herbs, I take no medication. I have no allergies and have never smoked. My past medical or surgical history is rather unremarkable. I have had several bouts of acute sinusitis in years past. Four week...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. You are suffering from chronic sinusitis. And I feel this is all allergic and you do not need antibiotics. Usually an acute attack takes five days to settle down. But, if you have persisting sinusitis, you would require CT paranasal sinuses....  Read Full »

Roxithromycin is not helping with acute tonsillitis. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have acute tonsillitis. The doctor gave me Roxithromycin 300 mg for five days. I have had two tablets now but it seems to be getting worse. I was very sick three weeks ago, sore throat, lethargy, and runny nose but no pus. This time my throat feels constricted but I do not have a runn...  Read Full »

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.You have follicular tonsillitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which might not subside with Roxithromycin.You send a throat swab for culture sensitivity.Start in Clarithromycin 250 mg twice daily along with antacid.Start taking supportive treatment like a...  Read Full »

My wife is recovering from postpartum cardiomyopathy. How to take care of her?

Query: Hello doctor,Recently my wife survived after having an attack of postpartum cardiomyopathy. She is 26 and her EF was reduced to 20 % when she was admitted. She had an attack of repetitive convulsion and her lungs got filled with gastric juice. Now after remaining hospitalized for more than two weeks...  Read Full »

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding the diet restrictions, common salt intake should be within one teaspoon daily. Salt intake to be maintained strictly. Avoid strenuous activities. She should be on rest till she improves. It is very good that her EF (ejection fraction) improved to 55 %. That ...  Read Full »

How can I manage sore throat and difficulty in swallowing?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 19-years-old female. I am pretty healthy and have an average weight. I had a sore throat for two days and it is extremely hard to swallow due to swelling to the point I can barely eat solid food. It is not scratchy, and I do not have a cough or fever. I went to the urgent care, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Manu Wilfred

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your diagnosis is acute follicular tonsillitis. Usually, this is caused by strep, other bacteria responsible are Hemophilus and Moraxella. Starting an antibiotic at this stage helps in early recovery. A...  Read Full »

Following throat infection, why is there an altered taste?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. I was at my local out of hours service this morning with an extremely painful and swollen throat. I was told I had a severe case of tonsillitis. I have been given antibiotics. Since then I feel a poison taste running down my throat and had a bit of a relief of p...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.om. The feeling that something burst and having poison taste in the mouth will be most probably due to release of tonsillolith (tonsil stone) from the tonsillar fossa and associated pus and mucus that come along with the stone. I suggest you antiseptic gargles like Betadine...  Read Full »

Should I seek further treatment for my septic joint?

Query: Hi doctor, Before 10 days, I got a cut on my knee. Two days later, I swam in the contaminated water. Then, I realized that my knee was extremely red, inflamed, tender and spreading outward from the site of the cut (first image). I cleaned the wound with alcohol and did not seek treatment. The follow...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Although it is still not clear how the wound happened, did you brush against something while swimming or was it some insect bite? Secondly, as you mentioned fresh water, we n...  Read Full »

Why is my tonsil swelling persisting for more than a month?

Query: Hi doctor, My tonsils have been swollen for almost an entire month. I have had two normal appointments for it and I am scheduled for a visit with an ENT doctor after four days. Today, my throat pain is more than it has been in the past few days and my left tonsil is significantly bigger than my righ...  Read Full »

Dr. Eriol Braholli

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, General Surgeon, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is obvious that your tonsil infection is not gone. Perhaps, it has been more complicated now since pain and fever is up and lymphadenopathy is shown. Retro or peritonsillar abscesses are the complications of untreated tonsillitis that may require specific treat...  Read Full »