Q. I feel anxious and depressed following my husband's death. Please help me.

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2021

My current issues are depression and anxiety. Honestly, it all started when my husband passed on our son's 1st birthday. I have just let it build up, and now I cannot control how I feel. I cry over crazy things, and I get mad over little things. I cannot sleep at night because I have nightmares and panic attacks. I do not feel like doing anything, and I have very low self-esteem. I am happy for some time, and then I feel angry without any reason. I am currently on Prozac, but it does not help me. Kindly suggest some treatment for this issue.

#

I am sorry for your loss. It is common to develop severe anxiety and depression after any significant loss in life. Prolonged grief results in the development of depression. Please try to keep yourself busy. Spend time outdoors with your son, which will help reduce the trauma. For persistent depression and anxiety, medicines like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) can be used. Sertraline, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, etc., can be used in your case and help reduce the trauma. These drugs are safe to use and will improve depression.

|