Q. I feel anxious and depressed following my husband's death. Please help me.

This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 28, 2021

My current issues are depression and anxiety. Honestly, it all started when my husband passed on our son's 1st birthday. I have just let it build up and now I cannot control the way I feel. I cry over crazy things and I get mad over little things. I cannot sleep at night, because I have nightmares and panic attacks. I do not feel like doing anything and I have very low self-esteem. I am happy for some time and then I feel angry without any reason. I am currently on Prozac, but does not help me. Please help me.

#

• I am sorry for your loss. It is common to develop severe anxiety and depression after any significant loss in life.
  • Prolonged grief results in development of depression. Please try to keep yourself busy.
  • Spend time in outdoors with your son and this will help to reduce the trauma. For persistent depression and anxiety, medicines like SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) can be used.
  • Sertraline, Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, etc., can be used in your case and help to reduce the trauma. These drugs are safe to use and will improve the depression.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|