Q. My son has severe constipation after taking Paxil. Please help.

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
Published on Mar 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

I have a twelve year old son, weighing 100 lbs. He was admitted to the hospital 12 days back for major depressive disorder (MDD), lack of sleep and having suicidal thoughts. He was prescribed Paxil 20 mg. I am concerned because he is exhibiting periods of low, melancholy moods and periods of extreme out of control highs. He has loud outbursts and feels like he cannot control himself. He previously suffered from chronic constipation since he was very young, to the point of having blockages that would severely expand his intestines. He had been doing great with that for nearly eight months after seeing a doctor but, severe constipation has returned because of Paxil. I would discuss these concerns with his psychiatrist, but we are in the early stages of his aftercare and I am not getting an appointment any sooner than a month from now. I worry that Paxil is not right for him and is making things worse.

#

Welcome to iclinq.com.

• I can understand your concern regarding your son's gastric problem after taking Paxil (Paroxetine), as it is a drug of SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) group which is known to cause constipation in children.
  • I suggest to prevent constipation, after consulting your specialist doctor, you reduce Paxil dose up to a half tablet and gradually increase it up to an effective optimal dose.
  • Give high fiber diet, increase water intake and encourage him for mild to moderate exercise.
  • Do not worry, as these symptoms are temporary and are resolved with time.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

My wife could notice blood in her stools.Could you please advise us with proper guidance?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife (age 33 years) has been suffering from piles related issues since last 10 years. It occurred after her delivery (in 2003) and was harmless at that time. We are having an eleven year old daughter. Recently she started experiencing pain and itching while going to toilet. Also sh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. It seems like your wife has second degree hemorrhoids which has also led to her fissure. The good news is that it can be managed medically. The first line of management is medical management. Itching is a very common manifestation, which is a...  Read Full

Is it safe to combine 7.5 mg of regular Paxil with Paxil CR for about a week or month?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been on Paxil CR 37.5 mg for 16 years. After a recent depression or OCD episode that occurred around my period, I saw a psychiatrist to see if I needed to bump up my dosage or change medicines. She prescribed me 7.5 mg of regular Paxil, not CR, to take with my 37.5 mg CR a few...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is safe to take the additional 7.5 mg of Paxil or Brisdelle along with 37.5 mg of Paxil CR, as you rightly mentioned that both are same medicines. The increase dose of Paxil or Brisdelle for short time is for managing your hot flashes, and it is just like that the do...  Read Full