Q. Does x-ray show any possibility of further growth?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

My son was told that his growth plates are mostly closed. I would like someone else to view his X-ray. He is pretty much done growing standing five feet tall and four inches and 1/4. I find it so hard to believe and he is devastated. I want to to know if there is a possibility for two more inches of growth?

Do you have a question on Growth Cycle or Bone Age?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

MBBS., MRCGP INT., PGDIP ENDOCRINOLOGY AND DIABETES,LONDON UNIVERSITY
Diabetology Endocrinology

I just read your query and your report attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), nowhere it has been mentioned that his growth plates are fused indicating a possibility of further growth normally.

Secondly, he is not short-statured according to this report. In fact, it states that his bone age is normal. I would advise you to allow him to grow normally till the age of 18 to 19 years by actively participating in sports activities.

Also Read Answers From: Growth Cycle Bone Age

My 6.3 year old daughter has breast buds. Will Lupron injections help her?
Query: Hello doctor, My daughter was 6.3 years old when I noticed that she has breast buds. After consulting the pediatric¬†endocrinologist, we went for bone age and pelvic ultrasound tests. Both the tests were age appropriate. She is 4.03 feet tall, and I am 5.6 feet, and my husband is 5.10 feet tall. As ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your daughter, and it appears that your daughter has precocious puberty and therefore it is necessary to give Lupron (Leuprolide acetate) injections. The problem is, if she continues without treatment, then she will reach a bone maturity so...  Read Full

Androgenic Alopecia (Pattern Baldness)
Article Overview: Are you losing hair from the top of the head? This type of hair loss is called androgenic alopecia. Read the article to know the available treatment options.  Read Article »
Dr. Archana

Male pattern hair loss is more common in many people and is called androgenic alopecia. Usually, it begins around the temples and on the top of the head. It is M-shaped at first to reach around the head and insides. The complete scalp can be involved at times. Generally, it is associated with sex ho ...  Read Article >>
How to Grow Thick and Dark Eyelashes?
Article Overview: FDA approved Bimatoprost ophthalmic solution, which is used as an eyelash grower. The brand name for this solution is Latisse. This article will help you understand it in a better way to Grow Thick and Dark Eyelashes  Read Article »
Dr. K Sneha
Cosmetologist

Women use mascaras, artificial eyelashes, and a lot of other cosmetic products to make their eyelashes look long, thick, and dark, as prominent eyelashes are considered a sign of beauty. Due to the unique properties of eyelashes like the long resting stage of the hair growth cycle, slow growth rate, ...  Read Article >>

Ask a Doctor Now